For those of you that use baitcasters.

Gator

For those of you that use baitcasters.

Post by Gator »

I'm headed out to buy a new baitcaster this weekend and wanted to get some opinions from those of you who use them. All my bass reels are baitcasters spooled with mono. I'm looking to buy one mainly for saltwater use, but to use in the freshwater as well. So what do you use and why? Which are the best? After a little looking around on various websites today, I see that a couple reels I considered aren't even listed as saltwater reels? I heard good things about the Shimano Chronarch but it's listed as a freshwater reel on the BPS site. It looks like there are a couple by Quantum and the Diawa Coastal Series for saltwater. I have a few spinning reels considered freshwater reels that I have used in the saltwater and haven't had trouble with them. What about line, Mono or braid?
"We are the people our parents warned us about."-Jimmy Buffett
overtheedge86

Re: For those of you that use baitcasters.

Post by overtheedge86 »

I use a daiwa reel with mono for my topwater & plugs. I forget the exact model but its the one with the "twitchin stick", theres a little lever just above the spool and when pressed draws about 5-6" of line. I can walk the dog one handed if i wanted.

Post by 0119 »

The Chronarch and Curado are both being replaced by a similar modular series after ICAST. The current ones are on sale everywhere. I have had alot of bad luck with Shimano this last year. All the septon grips have turned to goo. My new Stradic CI4's have had problems too, eva knobs getting loose. They are made in Malaysia. The new Curado's and Chronarch's are said to be made there too. I hope thats not an indication of quality. Im not really buying Shimano anymore, since they still dont have parts for the new CI4's yet and no longer have parts for all my Curado D's even though they are only 3 years old. I tried Abu Revos' but havent found them to be without problems too. Ive kind of left conventional gear behind and turned to fly fishing without regrets.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

I like my Diawa Coastal. 20lb braid because its easier to tie and really has no effect on casting distance. I know guys that run 50lb braid with out issues. The only reason I can think of to run mono is for soft mouth targets like gator trout. This is the majority of what people run in Texas. One thing I like a lot about bait casters is they allow me to rest my right hand after throwing a spinner all day. For lures that really need working like toads and top waters they are more effective (For me). Also you can really put the heat on big fish or ease up real quick because the drag adjust is right there. Curados are also good just don't dunk them. Also in equal applications bait casters are lighter. All that said I own way more spinning rods then bait casters.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I have 2 Abu Garcia 6000's and 2 Abu Garcia 5500's.......all 4 reels are over 20 yrs old and in perfect working order.......I prefer mono to braid on my baitcasters although I have used both.......As for the new stuff out there I have read and heard great things about the Diawa Coastal's.....As for rods I use All Star 6'6" Med Heavy's.....I have used these rigs for both Freshwater Bass and Saltwater......
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
jslager

Post by jslager »

I use all of my Curados(200d7, 200e7, and 300dsv) in the salt. Never had a problem with them.
Sawyer Paddles and Oars
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Unless you want to drop big $$$ for a Calais ASV, I'd get on Ebay and find an original Chronarch or Chronarch SF. I have five of these reels that are all between 12-15 years old that have been used in the salt (and on the kayak) almost exclusively. With 30lb braid (what I use 99% of the time), you can easily whip adult tarpon using either of these outfits.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

I have a few calcuttas with 50# braid for large plugs. They also work quite well for dropping butterfly jigs offshore.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Backlasher

Post by Backlasher »

Glad to see that you Florida guys have come to your senses about reels! I've got several baitcast reels but my favorite is an old style Curado...100B. It's the smaller size but still holds 150 yards of 20 lb. Suffix 832 plus backing.
Seriously, what's the current favorite in spinning reels? Casting into the wind this spring has been brutal.
Larry
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times...don't exaggerate!
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Backlasher wrote:Seriously, what's the current favorite in spinning reels? Casting into the wind this spring has been brutal.
Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 series has been awesome. But the Quauntum Catalyst is what I buy the most of.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Diawa Saltists are great!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

Calcuttas and Curados for me. They can be a bear sometimes when seated in your kayak (especially in the wind) and they are not meant for skipping baits under docks and brush but provide a very smooth platform for topwater. I have had both styles for several yeasr and had no issues with wear.

joe
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
Gator

Post by Gator »

I haven't bought a reel yet. I've been checking some things out online and considering all of the good info I'm getting from all of you. Has anyone used the Daiwa TD Zillion or the Quantum Energy?
"We are the people our parents warned us about."-Jimmy Buffett

Post by 0119 »

Never saw a quantum that didnt have reel rash from just sitting in a display case or in a box let alone use. Check out Gander Mountain. They have Zillions on sale for 189. I had one for awhile. Very nice, top quality. I just hate mag brakes. For that matter Citicas are on sale for 80 and Revo S for 85 at Gander Mountain.
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

We have Daiwa Coastals and have purchased Revo S reels which we have not used to date. The Coastals are rugged little fellows, but casting distance is a little short. Just a little care and they eat salt water for breakfast.

The reels we have used forever are Ambassadeur Ultra Mags, and they are great. Have not been made in years, so small parts are hard to come by. They cast a country mile and are very comfortable to use.

We have Amb. 6000's which are used for heavier applications such as dolphin, spainish mackeral, etc. The level winds do not disengauge, so they do not seem to work as well as the reels which have disengauging level winds for small baits. If you take care of them, you cannot wear them out, and they are the easiest reels to maintain of all we have tried. The oldest one was purchased in the early 70's, so they do stand up much longer than the competition.

We use mono on everything. Lost interest in braid long before the new braids became available.
coverdog

Post by coverdog »

I've really been liking my Abu Garcia Record reels. Smooth and cast excellent.