What Camera do you use Kayaking?

rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Re: What Camera do you use Kayaking?

Post by rugrat181 »

Got a Panasonic Lumix for Christmas. Its waterproof (so the claim), to 10 ft
takes a clear shot or video and you can wash it off after.
All I need now are a few more reasons to use it and a lesson on posting the results.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

Got tired of having to use a dryer to dry out the camera after each fishing trip, or trying to take pics with the camera in a ziploc bag, so I hinted to the Mrs. for months that I needed a new camera and I got an Olympus Stylus Tough "waterproof" for my birthday. Added an Xshot extender and now i can take my own self pics. Takes a little practice, but I like the camera so far.
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Bought the wife a Playsport and we have the Tough also for better pictures. I am impressed with the Playsport, and it is being used by someone who needs new walkie talkies every time you turn around. She either drops things in the water or sometimes just falls in herself :D Don't tell her I said so though.

We went through the clear vinyl bags and waterproof boxes, but they are a hassel.

She used the Playsport snorkeling recently and it appears to have done the job for her. It takes great videos believe it or not.
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I just purchased an Olympus Tough 6020 for $139.00 from instockdigintal.com to replace my drowned Pentax. I have never purchased anything from them before, but they have gotten decent reviews. The price is very good and includes ground shipping and no sales tax.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

I do not remember the exact model numbers so bear with me...

I posted a similar string back in March needing to replace an Olympus 1080WS (I think –it was the top of the line point and shoot water/shock proof version) which was stolen from my truck just before a trip fishing and diving to Hawaii.

I needed a waterproof version b/c of several activities I am active in (whitewater rafting, kayaking, cold weather fly fishing, diving, etc) are not conducive to a non-waterproof camera/waterproof case

I went with the Olympus 1030WS which broke on day 3 of my 10 day trip.

My next choice was the new water/shockproof/GPS Pentax model and have had zero issues with it.

As a matter of fact, the software is much more intuitive and easy to use and the first thing I noticed immediately was that there was no "boot-up" time required for this camera. I've lost count of how many pictures I've missed b/c of this. With the Pentax, it is turn-on and shoot with a second or two - literally.

I am quite pleased with the product and would recommend it IF you need something a little more sturdy that the entry level waterproof models.

Hope this helps

Joe

PS - LongRange - I would like to link up with you and see the GoPro's video quality and ease of use.
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

ZeroSix wrote:I do not remember the exact model numbers so bear with me...

I posted a similar string back in March needing to replace an .....
We could repost this same question about every 6 months, as the life expectancy of the technology of any electronic device is 6 months or less. Think about cell phones, Service provider gets you for a 2 yera contract, gives you a phone for free that is 3 months old on the market, but charge's 100 bucks or more for the latest release.. 6 months later there is a new better, faster , cool-er one avail.. what do you do either renew your contract for another 2 years pay another 100 bucks, or justkeep the original.. 1yr 3 months the original devive breaks now you are stuck. renew, pay or buy replacement.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Sony tx5.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Urban Legend II

Post by Urban Legend II »

Wow, getting the Tough 6020 for that price is a steal. I added a floating strap/lanyard for the inevitable "oops".
Hobie Pro Angler 14

"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job"
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

One thing I forgot to mention before was the weight of each camera... The pentax is MUCH lighter. The Olympus would sink even with a standard floating wrist strap. Be careful of Davie Jones' locker.
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
Native1

Post by Native1 »

I found an Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 refurbished model on Buydig.com (You cant even tell its refurbished, same factory warranty as a new one) for $99.00 plus 6.95 shipping. I have had it for a year and have had no problems with it. I like the wide angle lens because its easy to get the whole fish in the picture when its laying in your lap on a measuring board. Its been in the salt water several times now and all you do is soak it in fresh water for 10 minutes when you get home. I highly recommend it.

Rob
Leave me alone I'm in my nothing box.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

ZeroSix wrote: The Olympus would sink even with a standard floating wrist strap.
I use to have the Olympus 1030 WS, I had the float strap, and it never sank to the bottom.
Native1 wrote:Its been in the salt water several times now and all you do is soak it in fresh water for 10 minutes when you get home.
I had an Olympus 1030 WS and I took damn good care of that camera by cleaning it with fresh water after each fishing trip and it started to corrode on the edges, the paint wore off, and it finnally it just quit. I got the camera for a Christmas gift in 2008, but for as much as I used it, it should have lasted alot longer.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
gulfyaker

Post by gulfyaker »

Kodak PlaySport here! Go to youtube and search for user gulfscuba and you can check out some of my videos.
catfish308

Post by catfish308 »

I use an Olympus TG-310. While I didn't buy it to take pictures underwater, I did try it out and it survived. It's nice to have a camera out and not have to worry about it getting wet or having to open a dry bag all the time. Bought a floating wrist strap from Wal-Mart to be safe.
When you need it and don't have it...you sing a different tune.
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

catfish308 wrote:Bought a floating wrist strap from Wal-Mart to be safe.
:thumbright:
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
redfish

Post by redfish »

Pentax Optio W90. Great bullet proof camera
Amped Kayak Fishing and Southern Backwater on Facebook
Mercuryverado200 on Youtube
Wright Custom Rods
Kayakpirate

Post by Kayakpirate »

Thank!!! I ended up getting the Pentex WG-1 for about $245.00 on-line. I truly love this this new camera.

Again, Thanks a million for all the information posted.
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.