Tarpon?

fsh4fun

Tarpon?

Post by fsh4fun »

Hey All,
Great board, lots of awesome info.
I'm just getting into kayak fishing. Had the family in Longboat for a week at the start of July. Saw tarpon rolling at the surface, some days I'd see 5 or so, sometimes in pairs, other days I'd see a dozen singles?
I was trying for tarpon, hooked 3 fish landed zero. The first fish never jumped? Is that abnormal for tarpon? I suspect it was a tarpon, the other two jumped. It towed me off shore a long way, fought it for two hours. I was using a rod rated for upto 20lb test, and was using 30 lb braid. That fish hit a dead lady fish under a balloon. I think I did a couple of things wrong. First I let the fish tow me all over the place, and didn't feel that comfortable getting pulled sideways (more drag), and I would catch up to the fish and be over top of it, which I think would put less pressure against the fish than if I was 25 yards behind it. Open to suggestions? Obviously the goal would be to tire the fish out quickly and release it. Are there better areas to fish for tarpon?
Thanks,
Neil
ZeroSix

Re: Tarpon?

Post by ZeroSix »

Neil,

PM me when you get a chance. Though there are folks with much more experience that me, I think I might be able to help you.

Joe
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
Rik

Post by Rik »

Some of this may sound as if I'm wagging my finger at you but, please, don't take it that way.

First, if you were out there alone, make sure your life insurance is paid up. Even the most experienced guys on this forum don't go out alone. There's too many things that can go wrong and it happens very quickly.

That first fish that never jumped was probably a shark. A big one at that if it towed you around for two hours. Sharks follow tarpon. They love to go after tarpon that an angler has already worn down to make it easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjWQNwv-GJ4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

20 pound test isn't enough for the rod. You need a 40 pound rod and at least 30 pound braid or you'll fight the fish so long you won't be able to revive it.

Speaking of reviving, how did you plan on doing it by yourself?

To keep from being dragged all over the Gulf, get a drift chute.

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
fsh4fun

Post by fsh4fun »

Rik,
I appreciate your advice. I'm very new to kayak fishing. Most of my fishing has been in fresh water, but I've been a fishing addict since I was 4. I have many questions, may be some other novices also can learn from your, and the other good people on this boards' knowledge. What are the some of your safety precautions, items you keep close at hand etc? I don't think you can ever be too prepared. Also what are some methods to revive big fish that aren't intended for the table. I've seen some towed by motor boat for revival. I guess towing by second kayaker, while the first holds the fishes mouth open would do the same?
Neil
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Listen to Zero Six. You have sense enough to ask for help. Good on Ya.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

fsh4fun wrote: I guess towing by second kayaker, while the first holds the fishes mouth open would do the same?
Yep

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtop ... 25&t=35125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
shallow pockets

Post by shallow pockets »

Tarpon fishing solo isn't the best idea, but that's your choice. I really dont know how you would revive the fish by yourself. I guess if you were lucky enough to be close to the beach you could get out and walk it up and down in the surf, but that usually is not the case.Or if you have a peddle kayak that would work. Other than that if your alone that fish may die.

Im guessing shark on that other fish that didnt jump but it is possible for a Tarpon to stay down as well.
Jackson Kayak Pro Staff
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

I made a pact with my fishin buddy AND my wife, that if I am gonna do any night fishing or fishing in water over kneedeep, I take a buddy. Problems with sharks happen VERY fast and usually from behind.. :shock:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."