Trout and sharks....

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Trout and sharks....

Post by jbdba01 »

Seems I'm a bit cursed on landing a big trout (> 20") but the smaller ones I'm doing OK on getting to the boat.

I'm not quite following the math, twice now I've had a nice trout hauled off by the men in grey. This is typically within 10-15 seconds of the fight. Which got me wondering are the sharks hanging with big trout (or vice-versa)? Water was 3-4' deep. Is this a general rule of thumb? Like cobias and rays, poon and bulls...

I caught 3-4 nice sized jacks and the fight was much longer in the same water and there were no issues. I did have 2 Jacks on at once - which was pretty cool. Feels like a beast on the other end of the line. Hooks were all bent to hell.

I've not read about other people having the same issue. So perhaps it's just bad timing/luck.

For the record, I was using a silver shallow water bait buster across the surface. I was tired of hanging weeds and that seemed to work pretty good for trout and reds. I was hoping for snook too (or a wandering poon).

One last note - after catching enough Jacks I took some photos of the frenzy and did a spectacularly lousy job; because I wasn't close enough, the autofocus focused on the horizon (aka. infinity), so 99% of the shots were messed up. I think it also freaks out on all the motion of th ebirds, so it doesn't know what to focus on - after a bit it says, "The hell with it I'm going to infinity."

Lesson learned. Below was the best. Shooting from a kayak is a lot harder than being a land lubber with a tripod.

JB
Mark R

Re: Trout and sharks....

Post by Mark R »

Never had a problem with charks but I have seen Flipper steal several. Had a couple close calls with them also, nothing like a 9', 300# creature that want's to climb in the kayak with you to change your bathroom habits.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

same here, no shark problem you just got "Lucky" I guess.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

I don't know...even stink pottin' there seems to be more "fun" this year. Guess it's just me and my mojo.
JB
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Cool shot!
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Devodud

Post by Devodud »

I had big bonnetheads and blacktips eating trout sandwiches at my expense last year in 3 - 6 feet of water. This was at the clam bar, and only while there was a feeding frenzy like the one you pictured. The sharks were not eating the ladyfish that I was catching along with the trout.
If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough!!
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Would you eat ladyfish if you could have trout?
kneedeep

Post by kneedeep »

Doesn't matter where you are in the bay right now, there's gonna be sharks. LOTS of Bulls in and around the flats. (especially at night) That's one of the reasons I just dont like fishing in over kneedeep water is because it's so much easier for your catch to be taken. Heck, my buddy caught a small Bull Shark on a topwater lure a couple of weeks ago. That's just plain wrong! :scratch: The Black Tips sometimes hit the arties, but not too many Bulls that I've seen.. :shock:
<SDFT><{
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

I hooked a black tip on a gold spoon once, cast it out in front of him and he went for it and took it. Came out of the water doing a head shake and tail walk then trew the hook.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve