??? Service at Tackle Shack ???

Redfisher

??? Service at Tackle Shack ???

Post by Redfisher »

Personally I have never even been to the store. I only recently even discovered exactly where it is.
I am interested in finding out what people who have delt with them think of their service. I know Hobie really stands behind their products and is quick to give customers with cracked boats, new hulls quickly, but I have heard stories of guys having to pay $100 as some sort of service charge. Seems like if Hobie knew about that, they might loose their hobie dealership. I have also heard some horror stories about BAD service.
I have always heard great things about Dave at Action Watersports in Auburndale, but that is such a drive and if I ever had problems that drive would get old quick.
Thoughts? Opinions??

Of course it will be some time before I can buy anything, but I am "doing my research." :D
Heywood

Re: ??? Service at Tackle Shack ???

Post by Heywood »

Redfisher wrote:Personally I have never even been to the store. I only recently even discovered exactly where it is.
I am interested in finding out what people who have delt with them think of their service. I know Hobie really stands behind their products and is quick to give customers with cracked boats, new hulls quickly, but I have heard stories of guys having to pay $100 as some sort of service charge. Seems like if Hobie knew about that, they might loose their hobie dealership. I have also heard some horror stories about BAD service.
I have always heard great things about Dave at Action Watersports in Auburndale, but that is such a drive and if I ever had problems that drive would get old quick.
Thoughts? Opinions??

Of course it will be some time before I can buy anything, but I am "doing my research." :D
The drive to Action Waters Sports is well worth it. Dave is a standup guy!!
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Lime Cider

Post by Lime Cider »

I've had my share of hulls replaced by the Tackle Shack. I paid the hundred dollars a few times but if it was a short time between purchase and return they didn't charge me. I contacted Hobie about the surcharge and was informed that it is up to the dealer whether or not to charge a fee for furnishing a kayak from their stock. I was also informed that I could wait a couple of weeks for them to ship me a new one and there would be no charge.

I have never found the need for any special rigging on my Hobies, so when one cracks, I don't have a problem paying a hundred for a brand spanking new kayak.

One thing about Hobie is that they never stop improving their product. Almost every replacement I have received had engineering differences designed to fix past issues.

I'll have a Hobie until I learn to cast with my legs. :wink:

P.S. The guys at T.S. know their product and have always been very helpful.
Last edited by Lime Cider on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

If the hulls fail every year or so, it sounds like they need to keep improving their product. I have two older OK Prowlers and have never had a hull problem.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

Tackle Shack:
I discovered this place a few months back when I needed a part and had a customer service experience that is second to none that I have ever had. Rich Booze not only repaired my Mirage Drive that my son broke but also serviced my second one drive at no charge and provided advice on care, cleaning and storage. After that he asked where my kayak was and when I told him it was in my truck - he came out and spent about half hour in 100 degree heat going over different things on my kayak and explaining why Hobie designed it that way and the changes since mine was manufactured. He also replaced a few minor parts that had just been lost or broken over the years at no charge.

I was so impressed that I went back and ordered a new ProAngler from them a few weeks later. With this said, Tackle Shack is like every other business out there related to the fishing/outdoor/adventure industry - they are out to make a profit in order to keep the lights on and they are in the midst of a prolonged down-turn in revenue streams.

I will go back to them without question b/c I believe that customer service is a lost art and they seem to have it figured out. I would also recommend them to friends.

Hobie Products:

I have been a Hobie owner for 7-8 years and put my boats (two Outbacks and now a Pro Angler) through the ringer. I view them as tools and not show pieces. In all my adventures from chasing tarpon off the beaches, reds and snook in the shallows to trolling for King Salmon and Steelhead Trout 1-3 miles out in Lake Ontario, I have never had a hull issue or an item break or fail unless I broke it myself by doing something wrong.
There are drawbacks to these kakays but I have three of them for a reason. If Hobie is what you want based on your requirements and desires, you will not be dissatisfied.
Also, there are plenty of experts on this site who have never owned a Hobie product themselves but will gladly provide you with their advice. I am sure they mean well but there is plenty of room for prejudice and discrimination against a product if you do not personally own one.

Feel free to PM me if you like and I will gladly share the pros and cons to these products.

Joe
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
jslager

Post by jslager »

My Tackle Shack experience:

I was fishing a tournament at Ft Desoto a few weeks ago and about 2 hours in my Rudder stopped working. The wind was blowing hard and it was impossible to fish. I loaded up the kayak and looked up the address to Tackle Shack. They had me repaired and out the door in 15 minutes. No charge. I was able to fish the last 3 hours of the tourney. I've never done any business with them prior but they have my business now.

I live in Lakeland and would rather drive to Pinellas Park instead of the 15 minutes to Auburndale. That's all I'll say on the other shop.
Sawyer Paddles and Oars
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

My experience is that it depends on who you get. I don't like the attitude of a couple of the people there but I've gotten shit fixed when I needed to. Never been charged for anything but I've also never had to have any major repairs or replacements. Just small parts breaking etc. I would recommend them.

Personally, I would be pissed if they charged me 100 bucks for a replacement kayak if it was covered under warranty.