Post by jbdba01 »

From the annals of will it happen this year...details in Tampa Bay Times
JB
TerryW

Re: Bass Pro Shops moving to Tampa...

Post by TerryW »

Sad for the local tackle shops.....
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

The incentives part is kinda nutty.

"The shops, or the developments they anchor, have repeatedly taken advantage of taxpayer assistance elsewhere before opening, whether in the form of tax rebates or road or other infrastructure upgrades. The subsidies have run into the tens of millions of dollars in many cases."

My italics and underline.
JB
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Was just at Bass Pro in Ft Myers yesterday ... Matlacha :chug: :sip: the day before. Got some Bass Pro gift cards for my BD last year and had to spend them somewhere. :?

Yes, 'tis a bittersweet thing when a Mega-Store moves in. However, how many employees does the Bass Pro shops employ? Just guessing it's gotta be 200 - 300 hundred covering all shifts and all the behind the scenes employees. Maybe more.

Of course if "I" was one of the Mom & Pops that was closed down I for sure wouldn't be very happy about it.

Personally, I think the internet has put at least as many Mom & Pops out of business as has the Mega-Stores ... maybe more!!

Bass Pro is enormous and has a TON of fishing stuff. I think I like Gator Jim's better. ;)

Disclaimer: ***AHEM**** NOT looking for another argument. Used up ALL dem big wurds I no in my last joust. Tryin' to lernt sum new wuns so's I'll be ready.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Just Googled, the BP in Bakersfield CA employs approx 300.
GIL

TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Personally, I think the internet has put at least as many Mom & Pops out of business as has the Mega-Stores ... maybe more!!

That and a bad business plan. What saddens me the most is that I enjoy the local knowledge of the Mom & Pops. I've never found that in the Bass Pro Shops, including the one in Islamorada that is right on the water. Big box is the way of the U.S. so c'est la vie.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

BPS/Outdoor World does a great job of lure-ing you in.. hook, line, and wallet. It's absolutely amazing to me how much merchandise goes out the doors of the store here in Dania (Ft. Lauderdale).

But for us real fisher-people its not the best place to shop and cannot compete with the online store. They stock a lot of stuff, a high percentage of offshore purpose build BPS branded merchandise.
One thing they do well is stock the new must have lure, or thingy, in a small color selection.. get your $$, then if its a very big seller it will soon be out of stock, soon after the BPS (XPS/Ascend) version will be instock with a larger display area, more colors, and a few cents less... but the product is not teh same quality. Soon after that the name brand product will be gone.

Local Mom & Pops can't compete with the online store either. The advantage they do have is personal service and stocking what hot and used in the local environment.

If I go to the B&T or BPS with a specific list I seldom find what I want.. Online I can find anything.

As an example there is a local Florida company that makes soft plastic product most of us use some of, the make like 4 different models in 20 plus colors. Online I can order as many as I want in any color they make.. but at the B&T, BPS, Wallymart I'll be damned if I can find more than half a dozen colors and seldom the actual one I want.

I do drop a lot of $$ at BPS for some reason though..
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

As some of you know I spent the last 18 years of my working life at the corporate headquarters of Dick's Sporting Goods (DSG). DSG got it's start as a local Mom and Pop store in Binghamton, NY. When I joined the company we had 5 small Mom and Pop type stores in upstate NY. When I left the company in 2007 we had something north of 320 stores in 32 states.

Through the years of our development and growth there were many times when we were cast as the evil big box retailer ruthlessly driving the little guys out of business. The fact is that what determined the local sporting goods store's survival really came down to how good a business person they were and how well they could adjust in the face of a changing competitive landscape. Clearly some of the local Mom and Pop guys went out of business as DSG entered new markets, but not all. Those who were running really good businesses that provided superior personalized customer service and / or were specializing in a fairly narrow sports area survived just fine. The good locals would come and study what the DSG stores carried and then adjust their assortment to support areas not well served by the mass merchant.

So as Bass Pro enters the Tampa market if you are a price only shopper you may change your shopping habits. However, if you have a favorite Mom and Pop who provides you with superior service, carries the items specific tailored to our local needs and values your patronage then you may be willing to pay just a little bit more for the extras they provide. If the local guy goes out of business they were probably destined for that end sooner or later. However, if your favorite Mom and Pop survives you may actually find that they will become a better retailer.
(FYI the average DSG store employs between 125 and 150 part and full time associates.)
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Thanks for the explanation Manning. You pretty much summed up what I was "trying" to say.

p.s. There is a Dick's Sporting Goods right across the parking lot from the Mega Bass Pro in Ft Myers. Wonder if Bass Pro will put another "big box store" out of business!? Only time will tell. :?

As Dick's Sporting Goods, I bet Bass Pro didn't start out with 65 stores either.

Sorry for the cliche' but, "It is what it is."
GIL

22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

It will be nice to have my sponsor closer to home. I'm tired to driving to Orlando to pick up the patches for my fishing shirts.

I will always buy my tackle at Dogfish. I bought my first rod and reel at their original location 25 years ago. They always take care of me. I will continue to buy guns, knives, ostrich jerky, and porcelain statues of white tail deer at Bass Pro Shops.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Although Hills. County voters approved a tax incentive plan for business development in Nov 2010 I dont think BPS needs to benefit from it.
If BPS wants to build in Brandon let them suscribe to the "build it and they will come" theory.

The luring ( pun inteneded ) of BPS has been a long process and there are other options for them to consider. Read more http://bit.ly/k8b5Lo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The idea of employing 200 - 300 people does appeal to me though.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Been buying sporting goods for over 50 years & have bought from them all of course.
Do prefer to support the mom & pops when I can.
Generally boils down to finding items that I want.
Been spending most of my money at Discount Tackle in Bradenton lately. They are close, have good staff & seem to appreciate my business.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Ok I get to vent now.
I'm for good customer service and prices. I hear the term Mom & Pop thrown around like these folks belong in a Norman Rockweel painting. Let me state it once again. "I'm for good customer service and prices"
I've spent quite a bit of time in some Mom & Pops waiting for Mom or pop or one of thier children to even recognise my existence. When walking around the store much of what is stocked is way over priced. There is one here in Sarasota that I won't name. The price for his Silly Willys are twice what box stores are and the quality is crap.
Now I've had great service by some Mom & Pop stores but I've had the same expierence from Orvis and Cabelas. I toss a Spook Jr., Gold Spoon or some type of plastic. Mom & Pop aren't helping me in any way by charging more for what I already know I need. "Most" Mom & Pops are nothing more than bait shops to begin with. Now I have also been in some great Mom & Pops Frienly folks that know thier buisness. like to shoot the breeze with you and give you good advice. Sadly they are a dying breed.
0 0 1
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

I do know there was suppose to be a BPS coming several years ago and was suppose to be built at the intersection of I-4 and McIntosh. Have no idea whatever happened, but obviously it never materialized. :?
I think the "mom and pop" types won't be harmed all that much...(just my opinion). Since it will still be a matter of convenience for most of us when we want to buy something, your always going to want to decide...is it cheaper for me to buy from the local little store and pay a higher price or spend the time and gas to drive over to the BPS... wherever it might be. The only real benefactors will be those who are lucky enough to live...so to speak...just around the corner. If you live in Pinellas county...are you really going to drive through all that traffic and distance to buy A lure or a few hooks or .....you get the idea :wink:
Besides...BassPro sells so much more than JUST fishing stuff. What I do like about them...they always seem to have the color spook I want(bone) no matter what! It's frustrating when you go in the local smaller store and they are out of THAT color or THAT size hook or setup.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Strawberrycrest High School (aka "The Crest") went into that intersection. $52M tax dollars ( that might include the Elementary and Jr High there).

Looks like a community college, but they have a great IB curriculum.
JB
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

To keep you up to date there was a meeting at the Ft.Myers store on monday with the hillsborough big wigs that are involved in this project if thats what you want to call it. If they build in brandon at falkenburg and causeway the only business i see it hurting would be sports authority. Dicks wont be hurt because of the location they are at " The MALL". I wouldnt expect ground to break until later in the year if it even happens.