PFTS ##4

bigguy

Re: PFTS ##4

Post by bigguy »

I might not be able to make it, T-ball game.
Buda

Post by Buda »

bigguy wrote:I might not be able to make it, T-ball game.
Aren't you a little old for t-ball?
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I did some field testing of these guys yesterday. I went to my local Wally World and they only had the Golden Mullet. I tried to give them equal air time along side my trusty DOA shadtail on a 1/4 oz DOA jig. In the interest of full disclosure I probably threw the Golden Mullet equal time with the shadtail for the first 2 hours of my 4 hour trip. The second two hours I threw it about 25% of the time. My stats for the day were 4 reds, 3 snook and 6 or 8 trout. Only one trout was caught on the Storm Shad. I also had a big lady fish hit it, but like a good poor man's tarpon, it was one jump and done.

My impressions are as follows:
The Storm Shad seemed to sink faster than the shadtail. As a result it seemed like it got fouled in the weeds more easily. The plastic does not seem to be as durable as the shadtail. I had one of the Storm Shads get bitten off and fished all day with the same shadtail. The Storm Shad did not throw as well as the shadtail. It appears to "helecopter" as it goes which shortens the casts.

Conclusion:
I will have to fish the Storm Shad much more between now and PFTS #4 so I can learn to use it. Also, I hope the fish like the looks of the shad colored one more than they did the golden mullet.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
bigguy

Post by bigguy »

Buda wrote:
bigguy wrote:I might not be able to make it, T-ball game.
Aren't you a little old for t-ball?

They let me in based on skill level.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Steve I agree with all you said, I switched to the Tsunami's they are lighter not so much of a dredge.
I don't use them anymore, as even they helicoptered, but the biggest reason was cost and the annoyance of cutting and retying everytime they got tore up.
Couple of tips for fishing them though, need to fish them like a gold spoon, close the bail before they hit the water, keep the rod tip high and use a steady retrieve, don't put any twitches in unless you are water deeper than 2 or 3 feet.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

The Guv'ner's advice is spot on. Look at the name alone "Swim Bait", they are meant to be casted and reeled straight back. Think like you are fishing a spoon with a slight twitch every now and then and this lure can be very effective.

This lure is a great example of why we have these PFTS formats. Forces you to try new things, takes you out of your comfort zone and, hopefully, creates a very level playing field.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Yep, fish it like a spoon and they will do you well, like I said I switched them out for something out, but not because they didn't catch fish.

My best Snook of 36" was caught on one of those, and they are still my go to bait for Tarpon.

They are a great all round bait, meaning, reds, trout and snook will eat them.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

Rik wrote:cuz he skeeeeeered.....
Trust me "POPS" i aint skeered. I will see you guys bright and early. It must be a good month because the wifey is let me fish back to back tournaments.