Can you come over here and help me?

Rik

Post by Rik »

I arrived a bit late at our fishing spot this morning and found Dave already out on the water with bait in the water. I launched and quickly dropped my sabiki in to get some bait when I noticed Dave was hooked up with something. I could tell it wasn’t a tarpon so I didn’t think he’d need help. I was wrong.

“Can you come over here and help me?”

No panic sound in the request but I did notice he was fiddling around with something in the cockpit. I reeled my sabiki up but not in and paddled over. What I found was that Dave had fishing line running all over the place. He’d been fishing two rods and the lines were tangled. The line without the fish was wrapped up in his anchor line, wrapped around the running line to the fish, snagged on a few other things and just generally making a spider web all over the place.

This is about when we first get sight of the fish on his line, a 3+ foot Kingfish, which was not happy at all and doing it’s best to zip off towards every point on the compass. I came along side Dave’s kayak and first looked to figure out the mess until Dave gave me very specific and stern instructions, “Just cut the damn line!”. I grabbed for my scissors and made a quick cut. Since the kingfish is now under me I pushed off to give Dave space to fight the fish.

Dave reels the fish back out from under me and the fish is now about done. Dave has it under control bringing it alongside his kayak. Remember that sabiki I reeled up but not in? It is now tangled with Dave’s line to the kingfish. This just keeps getting better.

Dave gets his hook out of the kingfish, it darts away but my sabiki is still snagged on Dave’s boat. One more mess to figure out. I’m pulling, he’s twisting around trying to find it until, hmmmmm, my line is swimming away. I’m not snagged on his boat. I have a 20 pound kingfish on my sabiki!

Thankfully the fish was already tired out. 6 pound mono and 3+ feet of kingfish don’t go well together. I managed to get the kingfish to my kayak with a great amount of trepidation. The fish was hooked on one sabiki hook in the jaw. All I could envision is the light hook coming out and 5 sabiki hooks flying at my head. Just as I got its head to the surface alongside, boy do they have a bunch of teeth, the light sabiki line broke.

As the fish swam away, all Dave and could do was laugh. And be thankful there were no video cameras.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Re: Can you come over here and help me?

Post by DaveR »

Mayhem!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Rookies. :roll:
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

Rookies? YOU go catch a 20 pound kingfish on a sabiki rig.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Last tangle to undo was Rik's bait master. Barnacle was hog tied! A bit later Rik almost had a big bunch of tarpon in his lap. Quite a morning.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

& some folks call this sport boring....
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
MarkM
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by MarkM »

You'd think you two clowns would know what you're doing by now. :roll:

Sounds like fun. Wish I coulda been there. :lol:
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

You know the place Mark. I'll bet you could find it sober!

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Ump608

Post by Ump608 »

Saw Shamus at the gym this afternoon, I got the shortened version of the antics. Gotta admit much funnier long version.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

You know when I heard that some were fishing two lines I pictured something like this. Sounds like you guys had a good time.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
ZeroSix

Post by ZeroSix »

Sounds like another adventure etched into the longterm. Great story.
“Buda! Wanna see the best thing about owning a Hobie???”

18 March - Eric Bell Memorial

Hobie Outback - Moss "Ole Blue"
Hobie Pro Angler - Dune "Big Phaddy"

Sr. Vice President ExPS-Elite -PFK-CaC
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Ump608 wrote:...Shamus at the gym...
Working on his range of motion with the geriatric therapist?
1 1 12?
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

It's sure good to know that the pros have mishaps. When I started reading this, I was afraid there would be a shark in the story. Glad it was only some line & a kingfish that was lost.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Working on his range of motion with the geriatric therapist?
Yup want to be limper. Wouldn't want to pull a hamstring when I put my foot up your arse whippersnapper. PS a little gym time wouldn't hurt you either.
0 0 1
Rik

Post by Rik »

shamus wrote:
Yup want to be limper.
Working on your wrists?
CooKnFish

Post by CooKnFish »

Yep... Now there's a story I expect to hear from live baiters. :lol:
Paddles - they aren't just for the bedroom anymore.

~Mark~