Little Manatee River 24th Street Warning...car broken into

Pip

Little Manatee River 24th Street Warning...car broken into

Post by Pip »

I launched at 24th Street near Sun City on the Little Manatee River today. The launch like many others is isolated...big surprise (I'm being fascitious) my truck got broken into. Nothing of value was stolen but it just sucks as I have to replace the drivers side window. I knew I should have left the doors unlocked...my bad there but I still blame the little sh#theads for their actions.

How many people leave there cars unlocked when parking at isolated spots?
Last edited by Pip on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Kayak Fishing Team
Orion Coolers
Bending Branches

Re: Little Manatee River 24th Street Warning...care broken

Post by 0119 »

I do. 25 years as a street cop I never leave anything in my truck, ever. No change, no ipod, cords, sunglasses, nothing. Always leave the drivers door unlocked. Not saying its the right thing to do but its a conclusion Ive come to. They never want to make noise if they dont have to and will almost always try the handle first.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Little Manatee River 24th Street Warning...care broken

Post by jbdba01 »

I always lock my doors.

When available I park perpendicular to the road, windshield to the trees. That way all windows can be seen by oncoming traffic. I doubt it'll make a difference on a really isolated road, but if it has them moving down to the next car that's all I need.
JB
NarcSgt

Re: Little Manatee River 24th Street Warning...car broken i

Post by NarcSgt »

Hate to say this.......but if you leave the door unlocked....just easier and quicker for them to steal the entire vehicle.....
TRKpoker

Post by TRKpoker »

Haven't done it in ages but when we used to fish off the alley canals we would leave our doors unlocked but I was the only one who had a kill switch that unless you knew where it was you weren't getting the truck. These days I just fish areas where it is "less" likely to get broken into. My main launch is $6 to park but they have full time security. Three blocks away it is free but no security. Cheepest 6 bucks for me.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Good advice all.

I need to tighten up my non-secure truck procedure even here on Pine Island. Just another 15 mins to clean it out before leaving the truck at any risky launch site.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
Fishaddict
Supporter 2013

Post by Fishaddict »

Note: If you have registration. portable GPS in vehicle... Thiefs can use GPS to get to your home .. THey know you're fishing and probably gonna be gone for awhile. Nothing in the vehicle??? then they don't know anything about you.

Leaving door unlocked is good and so is a LOUD Alarm on vehicle that they can't know about.

I Also don't park where liklihood of break-in there. Its not worth the hasssle..
[b][i]Have Boat ... Will Fish[/i][/b]
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You never know when/where you can/will get broken into. MarkM and I were both broken into at Ft Desoto parked before the toll booth on a busy holiday weekend. When we found the our busted into trucks there was a line of cars waiting for the toll booth. So locking or unlocking, taking stuff out makes no difference. If the scumbag thief wants in they are getting in.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

I'm going with locking doors & utilizing any kind of alarm. I am a professional security alarm installer for homes & businesses & I always tell my customers that I can not stop any thief from breaking in, but I will slow them down. For the people that don't have an alarm, maybe try retro fitting one of the window alarms like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Techko-Maid-M ... m/21152068" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;