Mangrove shoreline and dock fishing strategy

UltimateBobWPB

Mangrove shoreline and dock fishing strategy

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

I've been fishing mangrove shoreline and docks along Hutchinson Island and am looking for some solid advice on how to bet work it. I've seen snook, reds and trout and despite soft cast and keeping some distance I'm not hooking up. And suggestions???
bluebill

Re: Mangrove shoreline and dock fishing strategy

Post by bluebill »

You are fortunate to be able to fish Hutchinson Island.

Are you using bait or lures?

I fished the IRL often for several years when I lived in Sebastian. Have a friend in Stewart who fishes that area.

I have rarely ever seen a trout so it is all blind casting in likely spots with the classic slow retrieve and bouncing along the bottom. White soft plastic swim baits work well on 1/8 to 1/4 oz jig heads.

As for redfish, it is typical to try to spot them at low tide and cast to them with lures or live bait fish. I never caught them near Stuart but did well in the IRL near the town of Sebastian. Bait and or lures worked along the bottom.

You will eventually catch a snook on lure. Try a Mirrolure Suspending Twitchbait or a Mirrolure, Yo-Zuri or Rapala or other topwater. Try the classic walking the dog retrieve and if nada vary to two jerks and pause etc. If you are casting tight to mangroves, let the lure sit motionless for awhile before twitching it. They will usually take after the second twitch. Snook are suckers for a live shrimp freelined on a single hook. Always carry longnose pliers so you can release them unharmed.

Good Luck
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
UltimateBobWPB

Post by UltimateBobWPB »

Thanks Bluebill for the great info will let you know how it works out.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I've been fishing mangrove shoreline and docks along Hutchinson Island and am looking for some solid advice on how to bet work it. I've seen snook, reds and trout and despite soft cast and keeping some distance I'm not hooking up. And suggestions???

Flip a DOA shrimp (easy to control the cast ) UNDER the dock and as deep into the mangroves as you can..have the drag turned up to get them away quick :thumbright:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

My .02 worth.

If you are seeing them they have already seen you and, more than likely, will not eat.

When you work a mangrove shoreline pay attention to ambush points i.e. an area that sticks out or an area of the trees with a large overhang. This is where the snook/reds will hide. Make a long cast to those areas. Especially if there is moving water.

As far as docks go if there is moving water cast up current and let your lure move towards them with the tide. Also, cast a wide range around the structure, they may not be directly under the structure.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM

Post by 0119 »

Skip a superfluke under the dock as far as possible. Ive gptten to where i can skip a spook jr. with a baitcaster under mangrove over hangs and snook will often attack it out of defense before i even get to twitch it.