Hey Jigger

DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Hey Jigger

Post by DaveR »

Go somewhere else cause you ain't fishin the Pass no mo!
Hoo yaaa!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Vlap

Re: Hey Jigger

Post by Vlap »

I'm looking for the "like" button. Good news!
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

DaveR wrote:Go somewhere else cause you ain't fishin the Pass no mo!
Hoo yaaa!
Brace yourself for livebaiters with stinger rigs.
JB
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

It is not a done deal yet and it won't change a thing. There will still be hoards of fishermen in the pass trying to catch those tarpon, it is after all a tarpon honey hole. They will just go back to conventional jigs which are just as effective. Not sure why any of you guys care? Do you fish the pass? Surely you don't believe the silly flossing theory that some are promoting? There is no proof just speculation.

Besides it may actually increase the amount of fishermen chasing tarpon on the beaches, that would interfere with kayak fishermen a lot more I would think. Personally I like it when everyone is over there and I am by myself over here.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

I'm with you Steve, what does any of this have to do with whats going on in the pass? Jigging certainly isnt the cause of all the dead tarpon washing up on the beach after a PTTS event. That tournament is still there, nothing has changed except that a form of fishing has been outlawed.

Whats next? Single hooks on a topwater lure?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of the PTTS and I think dragging the fish in for a live weigh-in (basically drowning the fish by forcing too much water through it) is doing way more harm than good, but why did they go after a specific style of fishing and outlaw it?
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Heywood wrote: but why did they go after a specific style of fishing and outlaw it?
So the old guard that fish live bait can have the pass to themselves.

This was a turf war, plain and simple.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

Post by Rik »

Heywood wrote: but why did they go after a specific style of fishing and outlaw it?
The claim is that the jig snags fish. There's a boat load (pun intended) of pictures showing that jig hooked on the outside of the mouth presumably due to the flossing that Steve thinks is a silly theory.

The jiggers have not been able to answer a couple questions. First, if the tarpon are biting that jig, what difference would it make if the weight were above the hook? The anti jiggers say its because you wouldn't be able to snag fish that way. The jiggers ignore the question. Second, why is that jig only effective in the pass and never used along the beaches or anywhere else they fish for tarpon? The anti jiggers say that you can't 'floss' fish as easily along the beaches since they don't stack up. The jiggers ignore the question.

The real battle is between old school and new school techniques down there. Plus, throw in a made for TV event that generates a huge pile of dollars using the jigging technique and you can see why the jiggers are fighting so hard to keep the jigs.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Todd wrote:
So the old guard that fish live bait can have the pass to themselves.

This was a turf war, plain and simple.
OK, so the PTTS just changes to a live bait format. Nothing changes. The circus is still in town.

I dont think this will be the end of this.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Heywood wrote:
OK, so the PTTS just changes to a live bait format. Nothing changes.
Yes and no. You have had to fish the pass using both live bait and jigs (don't know if you have or not) but the methods and style is very different using live bait vs jigs. The live baiters drift the pass in a normal fashion, when the drift is done they drive around and get back in line. The jiggers motor their boats over the schools of fish and try to stay directly on top of them, that is why you see the boats stacked up on top of each other.

I don't see an end to this until one of the parties runs out of money and does not want to pursue the issue any longer.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

I talk too much, sorry.
Last edited by sfurman on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

My numbers are in sync with this article in the Tampa Bay Times.

I've hooked about 20, landed about 7, foul hooked 1 - all on live bait.

I've hooked a bunch of reds, snook, and trout on spoons outside the mouth.

Wonder why people don't get worked up about King of the Beach - Kings are clearly being snagged AND killed. Fish is a fish...Same argument I had about cock fighting in SC. Why is dog fighting such a crime, but cock fighting isn't. Both animals...but they have diff penalties.

Anyway...I digress, back to fishing...Neighbor goes once a year says he catches most in the mouth. A couple outside. He has a great time and normally he gets between 8-12 hook ups in two days. I've always wonder why have diff color jigs if they are snagging. It's def a diff style of fishing.

I may go next year just to have it under my belt.
JB
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

My bad, sorry.
Last edited by sfurman on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

sfurman wrote: The FWC’s rule change is not based on anything but opinion and as was mentioned above it is a turf war and the FWC is giving in to it. To me this is not right. I wonder who will be targeted next?
This is what I don't understand and this probably straying off topic but how does the FWC have the power to say no to a certain type of lure in one certain zone with little, to no, scientific proof of that fish are either being snagged or perishing in the process. As you say Steve, who, or what, will they target next?
Rik

Post by Rik »

Todd wrote: As you say Steve, who, or what, will they target next?
I know a 2 mile section of beach that the power boats are wreaking havoc at so I think the FWC should make it kayak only. And only for residents, and invited guests, of Sarasota County. And everyone is required to bring a biscuit or two for the local tarpon fishing dog. And the young guys are required to drag the old guys kayaks up the beach. All of this will be good for the health of the fish, I just know it.

Y'all will sign that petition, right?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Todd wrote:
sfurman wrote: The FWC’s rule change is not based on anything but opinion and as was mentioned above it is a turf war and the FWC is giving in to it. To me this is not right. I wonder who will be targeted next?
This is what I don't understand and this probably straying off topic but how does the FWC have the power to say no to a certain type of lure in one certain zone with little, to no, scientific proof of that fish are either being snagged or perishing in the process. As you say Steve, who, or what, will they target next?
Because one group (the group that wants the pass to themselves) presented more evidence (dead tarpon, even though no one knows what really killed them) than the other group. Those that bark the loudest get the reconignition and swing the decision of those making the rules.

This was a good old fashion turf war, plain and simple and one side used the mthods of the others in order to run them out.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Rik wrote: And the young guys are required to drag the old guys kayaks up the beach.
Now there is a damned good idea.!!!
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve