Snook Opening

Heywood

Re: Snook Opening

Post by Heywood »

sfurman wrote:Guys the regulations on snook are extremely restrictive and this is done for a reason, in order to promote an abundant and healthy resource. The slot is so small that it allows most fish that are caught to be released. There is no reason to have a catch and release only status for these fish. I totally understand the desire to protect them to that extreme but it is not necessary. The regulations will pretty much guarantee lots of fish forever, now about poachers, they don’t follow the rules so the rules don’t apply to them. This is more of a problem and always will be. I haven't kept a snook in a long time, but I haven't hit a slot fish in a long time either.

The snook population is recovering very well, is it back to where it was before the freeze of ’10 not quite but, that was an all-time high for them, the current population is still better than in years past.
I got a turkey this past season and one is enough to satisfy my craving, even though I am allowed 2. Sometimes I don’t get any, then I am bummed for the whole year. Not really, I just like to get into the woods. :thumbright:
Do you have data to back that up? I know that just this year on the south shore the numbers are coming back up, but not like they were in years past. Last year at one spawn area there were no snook what so ever. Just this year they have returned.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

You folks wore this subject out but,

My totally unscientific take on snook population around Pine Island/Matlacha is that they have not recouped enough after the double year freezes to open the season.

I love to fish for and release them and have my favorite spots where they should be. They were just not in their usual places in the canals, creeks and mangrove walls this past winter.

And, most disappointing of all was the almost total lack of young snook in bayous and flowages around the island.

One hopeful sign was a 16" snook I caught in a Cape Coral fresh water canal a few days ago while bass fishing. Also saw one about 20". It had rained so heavily in Cape Coral that mullet and snook were able to swim over or through the discharge weirs along Burnt Store Road.

I will be fishing the Sanibel beaches searching for snook several times this month and will report to this forum
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

You want data, try this link http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/sto ... ish/snook/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on the download the 2013 update pdf.

There is a lot here and there is a lot here that absolutely supports what some of you are saying. Look at the graphs on pages 146 and 150 and these are the figures that are typically used to determine if a fishery is being overfished or what have you.

No they are not fully recovered but they don’t need to be either. They are however recovering.

The SPA or spawning potential ratio for snook is set at 40% which is very high. This is a good thing. There is another link I will try to find prepared by the FWC as well.

I found it. http://myfwc.com/media/2558153/7C1-Snoo ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I found it. http://myfwc.com/media/2558153/7C1-Snoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tation.pdf
I am curious to why if the Gulf population was more severely impacted than the Atlantic in seine reported catches ( refer to page 4 of this report ) Why are they opening the Gulf and not the Atlantic.. ?????

Maybe I am just reading this wrong? Or is the FWC relying soley on the SPR ratios which IMO could have a definite margin of error ( 43 to 48 % ) I see also that the assesment of East Coast snook now exceeds the 2006 levels .. Something tells me there is something fishy if they are not opening both coasts. But hey that is just my skeptical nature to all assesments to all fishing closures and limits ie grouper and snapper and the other fisheries that have a commercial impact.
Although there is no commercial snook season and the other species are Fed controlled there are some curiosities .

Just sayin.. it wouldn't hurt anyone to extend until spring of 2014. Give them another winter to get through. It would be a real pisser if we have another hard freeze in 2014
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

The east coast snook season reverted back to their normal state in 2011 I believe. the season opens as usual and the executive order was allowed to expire. Read page 5 again.

http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/ ... nal/snook/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I'll say it again Just sayin.. it wouldn't hurt anyone to extend until spring of 2014. Give them another winter to get through. It would be a real pisser if we have another hard freeze in 2014
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

You are right, it wouldn’t hurt anyone at all, just not necessary, that’s all. And the “what if?” is basically why we have the tight regulations we have in order to strengthen the base population of snook.

The freeze of 2010 was worse than similar freezes of the past because there was a lot more snook to kill than in the past. That is because of the tight regulations that we fought for and got in 2007. It has paid off IMO. A 40% SPR is as good of a guarantee as you can get unless you want a C&R only fishery.

Last year I was making the same argument you are making “give it another year” and was getting all kinds of grief from plenty of people then for it. It is time to open it back up so now I am getting the other side of the argument, oh well, I have to go with the facts and the science that I resisted last year.

I appreciate and respect your opinion, thank you.
Steve
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Good points all Steve.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

I only have one last tidbit to add. I promise. :lol:

I don’t make the regulations, I’m nobody, the FWC does. But, we can all have an input and last year the FWC wanted to open the Gulf season back up but, many anglers asked to keep it closed for one more year, even though the data said it would be okay to open it up. This year the FWC has seen little resistance to opening it up in September and I believe they have made up their minds at this point to do so. The only thing I can say is keep up with what is going on and try to stay involved and give them your input when they ask for it, it will make a difference. There is something like 2 million saltwater anglers in FL and only a handful ever make the effort to give any input at all.
Steve
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I appreciate and respect your opinion, thank you.
Me also.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

sfurman wrote:This year the FWC has seen little resistance to opening it up in September and I believe they have made up their minds at this point to do so.

I know of several hundred emails and calls to the contrary, also very tough to find a guide in support of this change. The FWC are digging in their heels they have the support of the Snook Foundation which pretty much negates any credibility with anyone who has dealt with the hack who represents them.

I know of no one who can tell me of rebounded snook populations on the West Coast, North of the Glades. Sanibel is returning but still not as it was.
3 years of closure should mean fish spawned in 2011 will be in or around the slot. So why allow those fish to now be taken from the population? One more year would see them through the harvest and give us a much healthier breding population for next year.

As for the data, I'd day it's flawed at best.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

This year the FWC has seen little resistance to opening it up in September and I believe they have made up their minds at this point to do so.
This game has been used by the FWC in the past.

Does anyone else remember about ten years ago when the dog jumping and chainsaw series asked for and was granted an exemption to cull their catch in tournaments such as the Oh Boy You Better Get the Hell Outta the Way jerked meat series? Not only were these clown shows given the ability to cull they were also granted (against the FWC's own research) a smaller holding tank.

Back then there was a grass roots effort by many that sent emails not to allow this and the FWC said they had only gotten a handful of letters against this practice. It was allowed and the blasting of grass beds started in the rush for Red gold.
Credo quia absurdum
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Maybe someone should start a "save the snook" organization.........

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Reply to my letter of concern to FWC reguarding snook opening...

Dear Randall

Thank you for expressing your concern for Florida’s premiere snook fishery. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (Commission) shares your deep appreciation Florida’s snook fishery and values your input in this regard.

As you may know, at the Commission meeting on June 12, 2013, the Commission decided to reopen the Gulf of Mexico snook fishery for limited harvest. The Commission used the best available science from the 2012 snook status update to inform this decision. In this scientific report, multiple models indicated the Gulf stock is robust. In fact, the Commission’s management goal is currently being exceeded. Additionally, the Commission felt confident with the knowledge that an estimated 90% of anglers catch and release snook, and opening the fishery would not interfere with the goals that had been set for the fishery. For more information on the science behind this decision, please visit: http://myfwc.com/media/2558153/7C1-Snoo ... tation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Although the season will re-open on September 1, the Commission has conservative measures in place for snook, and we are confident the existing management strategy will enable the snook stock and to continue to grow. The Commission will continue to monitor the condition of Florida’s snook populations and will conduct a full stock assessment in 2015.

The Commission views the snook fishery as an incredibly important resource for Florida and respects your concerns. Once again, thank you for your passion and your interest in conserving Florida’s snook fishery.

Sincerely,

Nick Wiley
Executive Director
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

In other words...F!@# off.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM