Carry A First Aid Kit

Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Carry A First Aid Kit

Post by Manning »

About 5 years ago, when I was just getting started kayak fishing, I was wading and stepped into some very soft muck. My leg went down in right up to my knee. As my leg went down in I could feel it being gouged by oyster shell and as I pulled it out it got gouged again. I was bleeding pretty good, but luckily was not too far for the launch. I made it back to the launch and wrapped my leg in a towel I had in the car. I got home safe if not completely sound.

I didn't have a first aid kit with me that day, but soon got one to carry with me when I fish. I haven't needed that kit until yesterday. While tarpon fishing alone (not a good idea) I was bringing my right hand forward to grab my fishing rod when I felt a sharp pain in my thumb. I looked down at my thumb and bold was running off it like someone had opened a faucet. Without really thinking about it I stuck my bleeding thumb in my mouth. With my tong I could feel that there was a good size gash in my thumb.

Next I looked to see what had cut my thumb. I carry a Kershaw folding knife with me when I fish. I carry it clipped to the right strap on my seat. That way it is in easy reach and is always in the same place. I looked down at the knife and there was the blade in the full up and locked position. Something must have caught on the little thumb opening stud and swung the blade into the locked position.

Now to tend to that thumb. My first aid kit is in a plastic box in my fishing crate and and all the supplies are in plastic baggies. It really takes two hands to open the box, open the baggies and get out the supplies. Every time I took my thumb out of my mouth blood went everywhere. First I tried a band aid. Ever tried to open a band aid with one hand? I couldn't do it and when I tried to use the other hand everything got covered in blood. Next I got out a gauze pad. Held the package in my teeth, tore open the package and got out the pad. I could see immediately that one pad was not going to do it. I kept adding pads and holding them in place by closing my thumb in my hand. I knew I had to get some pressure on it if I was going to get the bleeding stopped so once I got 4 gauze pads on it I just squeezed it my hand. After some times passed I opened my hand and carefully removed the blood soaked pads. The bleeding had almost stopped. I threw the bloody pad in the bottom of the kayak and put 3 fresh ones on and closed my hand on my thumb again.

I know I should have started thinking about how I was going to get back to the beach, but I had not been fishing in three weeks and Shamus had had a great morning the day before. So I set about figuring out how I could keep fishing. The first aid kit originally had a small roll of tape in it, but some time previously I had removed it to use on something and had not replaced it. I finally figured out how to open a couple band aids and wrapped them over and around the gauze. So I sat there holding my thumb for another hour or so and never saw an f***ing tarpon. When I got back to the beach my kayak and my clothes looked like I had slaughtered a pig out there. Again I got home safe if not completely sound.

Please do yourself a favor and learn from my stupidity. Get a water proof basic first aid kit and carry it with you in your kayak. You never know when something really stupid and unexpected is going to happen to you or one of your fishing buddies.

Here is a big thumbs up for first aid kits!

Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Re: Carry A First Aid Kit

Post by shamus »

I have one in the truck and a pretty good selection of bandages, tape and iodine in a seal a meal pouch on the yak. Oh yeah its a mother Fupher to try and bandage your right hand when your right handed!!
0 0 1
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Major thumbs up for...ahhh s*** screwed on that deal too.

Perpetually listing to starboard,
JB
BlueTuna

Post by BlueTuna »

Glad you had the First Aid Kit!
"There's no such word as can't" - Dad
David
noles

Post by noles »

The other thing I keep mine is a tube or two of super glue. Its a quick way to seal a cut.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Don't forget to carry a set of pliers / side cutters capable of cutting a 4x hook.

And ya'll can take this to the bank from someone who is still suffering a damnable infection for years. DO NOT ignore even the slightest oyster cut. The infectious disease Dr is already a friggin millionaire.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

noles wrote:The other thing I keep mine is a tube or two of super glue. Its a quick way to seal a cut.
I am a big believer in the super glue thing. I use it al the time for small cuts. It would have been no help with this one.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

Duct tape and WD-40. Stuff works on everything. That's all a real man needs to take with him.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Rik wrote:Duct tape and WD-40. Stuff works on everything. That's all a real man needs to take with him.
Rik, you need some of those folded brown paper towels too.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Manning wrote:
noles wrote:The other thing I keep mine is a tube or two of super glue. Its a quick way to seal a cut.
I am a big believer in the super glue thing. I use it al the time for small cuts. It would have been no help with this one.
Not sure this would be a good idea for you Steve....in fact, your wife should insist you NEVER go out alone again...LOL
I'm afraid if you tried the Super Glue repair on yourself...the next thing we would be reading about here is how they had to surgically remove you from your kayak. :lol:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
dunfly

Woundseal

Post by dunfly »

I always carry a first aid kit, not only when kayaking, but anytime I am in the outdoors. One product I have been thinking about adding to the kit is Woundseal. It is a powder that you sprinkle onto the cut and it seals it immediately. It would replace superglue and is probably a better option. Has anyone used it?
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I use Woundseal all the time Bob. Stuff works. Not sure how deep of a gash it would work on though. :scratch: Wish they would make a bottle of the stuff. Although that little plastic pack will fit in any Rx kit.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Woundseal

Post by Manning »

dunfly wrote:I always carry a first aid kit, not only when kayaking, but anytime I am in the outdoors. One product I have been thinking about adding to the kit is Woundseal. It is a powder that you sprinkle onto the cut and it seals it immediately. It would replace superglue and is probably a better option. Has anyone used it?
Do most pharmacies carry Woudersea? I have never heard of it, but sound like some thing to add to the kit. Today I went out and bought a $14 pair of one hand bolt (wire) cutters at Home Depot. Came home and cut through one of my 4X 8-0 tarpon hooks. It now goes with me.

Steve
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

All you needed was some superglue
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Swamprider

Post by Swamprider »

first aid kit
meat tenderizer and hot packs for stingrays
superglue
small pack of Quick Clot
2b1 Ask one