Flyfishing Baby Tarpon in The Everglades (pic heavy)

Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Flyfishing Baby Tarpon in The Everglades (pic heavy)

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Just got back from a week of flyfishing in The Everglades. My target was Baby Tarpon. The goal was to catch at least one Baby Tarpon each day for a week on a fly I tied myself. I'm not exactly known for my flytying abilities and I caught my first Tarpon on a fly in February. This February. This was going to be a challenge.

I planned on fishing these two types of venues:

Marshes

Drainage Canals

Day 1:

Tied up a bunch of these little buggers and headed out last Saturday to the marsh where I caught my first back in February.

This local suicide had pity on me:

That was the only fish of the day although I had a few short strikes as well. It's a thrill to see a Tarpon of any size blow up on a topwater. I also tried some Clousers, but I noticed that when they got hit, the leader would get frayed right above the knot. That evening, I tied some Clousers on mosquito hooks for the next morning.

Day 2:

Headed out at first light to a drainage canal where I had seen some rolling fish a month before. It's a little disconcerting walking through the tall grass with low light when you know there are gators present. I chose a wide canal to be able to make longer (read: less accurate) casts. This was the only fish of the day:

Day 3:

Having a little more confidence in my casting ability, I opted for a narrower canal. You can see the width in the second and third pictures:

Day 4:

Did some scouting and found a couple small lakes with some rolling fish. The smaller of the two lakes was literally the size of 4 parking spaces. They were connected by a culvert and had good flowing water. Got these two on a Clouser:

And this one on a Spider:

Day 5:

Day 5 was difficult. Very difficult. Got skunked in the morning and again in the afternoon. My last chance was the evening bite and I paid the price in blood and flesh to mosquitos and deer flies. Totally worth it.

Day 6:

Started looking for even smaller canals and pulled this little beauty out of the weeds:

And this one from the lake:

Day 7:

This was my last day and I only had the first part of the morning. A phenomenal morning it was. Jumped a bunch of little fish and lost a BIG fish after 7 jumps. Twenty pound leader wasn't enough to hold her. But it was for this fish:

For the most part, I fished alone. One evening, I had a videographer. I love how this little fish hits in one place and comes out of the water in another:

I learned a lot on this trip. Caught a few fish. Had a great time. Can't wait to go back. That place is...magical.

UT
Please, call me Kate
DoubleM

Re: Flyfishing Baby Tarpon in The Everglades (pic heavy)

Post by DoubleM »

Uncle Tommy wrote: Day 5 was difficult. Very difficult. Got skunked in the morning and again in the afternoon. My last chance was the evening bite and I paid the price in blood and flesh to mosquitos and deer flies. Totally worth it.
UT
Uh.. Sweet?!!?!! Great photos/report, I'm jealous.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Pirogue

Post by Pirogue »

Nice report

I like the light colored flies. One of the guys I used to fish with only used white bucktail streamers for baby tarpon. It was the only fly he carried. And it worked for him.

For your next trip, I would recommend the mosquito ditches by the Hutchinson Island nuke plant. It has been a few years, but I assume you can still get there. A short fly rod and roll casting is the key.
1 3 12 120 3000
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Formally Fat Hooker!
Love ya buddy. Great report.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Ummm, I've used shiners that big for bass..... :shock:
JK Tommy, nice chit. Looks a lot of fun! :thumbleft:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Nice Tommy.
0 0 1
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Bravo! How were the skeeters?
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

RIKSTER IS HOT ON YOUR HEELS!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

Thanks for sharing your week!
Credo quia absurdum
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Great report Tommy! I love that place.

I have to say though that the land-based baby poon fishing around my place on Merritt Island is likely better than what I've experienced in the Glades. You should make a trip over before the cool weather hits. Deerhair sliders are the ticket.