We lost a great guy today

dunfly

Re: We lost a great guy today

Post by dunfly »

Truly, sad news. He was one of the first anglers to help me out when I first started kayak fishing. Jay, Mark B and Mark M. We've lost some really good ones.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Just sad. Hope he's in a better place! He will be missed. .... Sad.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
cubs83

Post by cubs83 »

I didn't know him well but he was the most accepting guy on this board. Condolences to family and friends.
trans·plant 
–verb (used with object)
1. to remove (a plant) from one place and plant it in another.
2. to move from one place to another.
3. to bring (a family, colony, etc.) from one country, region, etc., to another for settlement; relocate.
Blindmullet

Post by Blindmullet »

Damn. Such a nice guy!
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

So Very Sad......Mark was one of the 1st guys I met on this Board during the 1st PFTS......He was very helpful and welcoming.....We talked one time about Our lives in NJ during the 70s..... I joked with him about me tossing him out of the "Capitol Theatre" in Passaic NJ during a Rock Concert when I was a Bouncer......If you grew up in the 70s in the North East The Capitol Theatre was the place to be on the weekends Top line concerts every weekend......I never saw Mark not smiling he was truly one of the good guys......I am proud to say I knew him......RIP Mark.......God Speed.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

Just don't know what to say.....Mark was just a regular guy with an exceptional ability to make everyone he was around feel good about themselves. He was truly just what you saw in front of you...no facade and totally accepting of everyone.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Be nice to have a good showing at the service if you are able.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Rik

Post by Rik »

None of us deserve to be stricken with cancer but some that get it really make you question a few of the unanswerable "whys" of this life. Mark was, as many have written, one of the truly good guys. Always had a smile, a warm handshake and was giving a helping hand before you thought you needed it.

The OLC and the PFTS benefited tremendously from his willingness to forgo the Pic n' Sip party and hunker down behind his computer to make sure the judging went smoothly. After making a couple mistakes this past season I fully know the value he brought to the table. The hat he's wearing in this picture was a good description of his demeanor while performing judge duties.

When the Heroes on the Water - Tampa Bay Chapter started up, Mark jumped right in. His assistance in getting the chapter started and moving forward was invaluable. His dedication to HOW and the Patriot Riders demonstrated his deep appreciation for the men and women of our armed forces.

Mark was never one to be outspoken but we all knew him as quietly strong. He had firm opinions that he would share in one on one conversations but would never push his opinions on others. Many on this site have benefited from his knowledge. A show of hands from those who have fished a Gold Dart, and caught fish with it, based on his suggestion would fill the sky.

My life is better from having known Mark. We will miss you Mark.

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Hear Hear!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Sully

Post by Sully »

I am deeply saddened that we have lost another of the great ones. Doubly difficult that it comes at a time when we are remembering the loss of our friend Cook. Condolences to all that loved him. God Bless his soul.
TRUE
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Great write up Erick, very sad indeed, way before his time, IMO.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

What a heavy sad week this is. I was going through my photos and ran across this one of Mark. This is how I will always remember him, a smile on his face and that blue Quantum hat. Mark joined me on one of my legs of Paddle Around the Bay. It was at his favorite haunt, Double Branch to Safety Harbor. We had a great time that morning, despite not catching much.

Much has been said about Mark by better spoken people than myself, all I know is that I'm glad to have known him. When faced with my own medical problems, my mind wonders to the thought of how will I be remembered when my time comes. I can only pray that I will be remembered as fondly as my friend Mark Michaels. That's the task ahead........
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Bill, that is an amazing pic, it kinda captures it all.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Heywood wrote:This is how I will always remember him, a smile on his face and that blue Quantum hat.
Mark R wrote:Bill, that is an amazing pic, it kinda captures it all.
X's 2 guys! Thanks for sharing it Bill!!!
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

So sad to hear this news :(. I never had the pleasure of meeting Mark, but have followed his posts on the forum for the past 10 years or so. He seemed like a genuinely great guy.
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

It has been a weird week. I considered Mark a very good friend. He was my fishing buddy, we did a lot of that together.

He and I met, through Erick, about 10 yrs ago and I knew right away this was one cool guy. He and I traveled and paddled to a lot of fun times together from fishing to baseball and Texas to around Florida. Kids, divorces, marriages, life in general we kind of discussed it all but always had that same bond. We fished together. We went to baseball games, even shared season tickets with other friends but in the end we fished together and we always had that.

Throughout everything Mark was Mark, a guy you could depend on, a guy you could run stuff by, Mark was a role model as a person, especially as a friend. This thread says a lot, people who never met the man sing his praises and coming from a guy who knew him everyone is correct. He was one of the good ones.

My life is better being friends with Mark Michael. I will really miss him, he was taken way too soon.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM