VHF Handhelds

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

VHF Handhelds

Post by krash »

Its time, need a new one. Had/have Standard Horizon 270 worked great but somehow in the heart surgery mess I have lost the AC charger, actually have the sit in charger just lost the ac power supply.

What Brand & Model handheld VHF do you use and what do you think of it ?

I see some with 6w and most wit 5w capability, does 1 watt really make more than a couple hundred feet distance difference.

I don't see the need for the gps/dsc function as I mainly stay a couple hundred yards from a mangrove shoreline in a couple feet of water, its mainly used for simple person to person contact while paddling with friends, or listening to the weather channels, and sometimes for laughter listening to the power boaters.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Tide1on

Re: VHF Handhelds

Post by Tide1on »

Anyone know of one with AM & FM?
Uniden once had one, but I don't see any that are multi-band out there now.
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
redfish bluefish

Post by redfish bluefish »

First, check ebay for a charger--you might get lucky. Even if you buy a new one keep checking periodically as it can be nice to have a spare.

That watt can make a difference, but given the situations you just described yourself being in I might not worry about it too much. Unless you want to listen to more power boaters for kicks ;) SH is a great company and the two I have are both SH. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to get an iCom if you like what they have to offer or find a deal.

Floating models are nice if you drop them in (obviously) but are much more bulky all of the times you aren't dropping it in :lol:

Both of my SH's have Wx bands, and one of them has a weather alert alarm. I don't have either at the moment, so I can't recall the models.

red-blue
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I had a uniden voyager that held up for many years of abuse.

After a recent trip to the glades where on the wtaer communication would have been very handy I've decided to get a new one.

I'll be going with another uniden.

http://www.bestcovery.com/uniden-atlant ... -way-radio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

The 6Watt units vs 5Watt is only transmit , does not affect receive capability.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

Evan

Post by Evan »

John wrote:After a recent trip to the glades where on the wtaer communication would have been very handy I've decided to get a new one.
Don't waste your money, those little handheld radios don't work for shit in the Glades. So many mangroves that disrupt the signal that you can't even talk to the boat that's just around the next bend.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I'm buying it for up here Evan, it was just the Glades trip, that made me realize how handy they are, we were fishing in sight of each other, but to far to shout and no cell signal, it would have been nice to call the guys over when i found fish and vice versa
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Evan

Post by Evan »

John wrote:I'm buying it for up here Evan, it was just the Glades trip, that made me realize how handy they are, we were fishing in sight of each other, but to far to shout and no cell signal, it would have been nice to call the guys over when i found fish and vice versa
But...you've got cell service up there, right?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

I have used handhelds for years especially when communicating with dock masters at short range. When I kayak with wife we have a couple of walkie talkies we use. No others on channel to worry about and really inexpensive. I still carry my handheld and cell phone.
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Evan wrote: But...you've got cell service up there, right?
Not in alot of the places I fish. I usually fish alone, so it's not an issue, but when I have company it would be handy
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

It's kayaking. Solar reflectors and flares is all you need.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Rik

Post by Rik »

John wrote: it would have been nice to call the guys over when i found fish and vice versa
One blast of the required to carry whistle for "hey, there's some fish over here", two blasts for "hey, there's a lot of fish over here" and three for "This is your last notice. I won't be blowing this damn whistle any more because I'll be too busy catching fish".

However, for what it's worth, Lt. Col Joe Lineberry (aka ZeroSix, aka The Canadian) swore by ICOM. Said that is all they used over in Iraq and Afghanistan and that they were beat up, abused and kept on working.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Rik wrote:
John wrote: it would have been nice to call the guys over when i found fish and vice versa
One blast of the required to carry whistle for "hey, there's some fish over here", two blasts for "hey, there's a lot of fish over here" and three for "This is your last notice. I won't be blowing this damn whistle any more because I'll be too busy catching fish".

However, for what it's worth, Lt. Col Joe Lineberry (aka ZeroSix, aka The Canadian) swore by ICOM. Said that is all they used over in Iraq and Afghanistan and that they were beat up, abused and kept on working.
Tried the whistle blast last weekend and my buddy could not hear me. Probably due to wind. Clear LOS no trees in the way. I would say it's good to have, but real communications is worth the $100-$200.

For what it's worth the whistle blast was for a HUGE storm coming. He was so close to the trees a he didn't see what was about to transpire. I had the benefit of being back about 1/4 mile and could see it forming. Stuff happens fast sometimes...he looked up when the thunder claps came. I was halfway in/to him when he saw me boogying.
JB
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

There are lots of other options, vhf is the standard on the water for boaters, walkies are ok so long as you can control the situation and talk channels but not all walkies talk to other walkies same goes with those FRS radio/walkies.. cell phones are ok so long as you have signal and a cell phone I ain't got no cell phone and there are many places we fish where there is no signal, whistle method works but like radio has downfalls like distance, smoke signals work so long as you are looking and can start a fire, gunshots and flares also work but have legal concerns.

VHF is all Line of Sight, (basically), and the handheld does have distance limits, but that is what we (my local friends) use and it seems to work for us especially in the Bay, Choko, and Mingo.. Its also a good item to have in yer ditch bag on the power boat. Also great to turn on in the garage while loading up and listen to the marine weather reports.

krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

There are lots of other options, vhf is the standard on the water for boaters, walkies are ok so long as you can control the situation and talk channels but not all walkies talk to other walkies same goes with those FRS radio/walkies.. cell phones are ok so long as you have signal and a cell phone I ain't got no cell phone and there are many places we fish where there is no signal, whistle method works but like radio has downfalls like distance, smoke signals work so long as you are looking and can start a fire, gunshots and flares also work but have legal concerns.

VHF is all Line of Sight, (basically), and the handheld does have distance limits, but that is what we (my local friends) use and it seems to work for us especially in the Bay, Choko, and Mingo.. Its also a good item to have in yer ditch bag on the power boat. Also great to turn on in the garage while loading up and listen to the marine weather reports.

Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

I just purchased a Cobra floating hand held VHF radio. Cost about $100. Never owned one before and have not used it yet. My primary reason for the purchase is that I am trying to increase my safety on the water. I am 66 and fish alone most of the time. My cell phone seems to work everywhere I fish, but if I dumped the kayak I am not sure how much help that would be. I also bought an inflating PFD and now I have to make myself wear it.

What channel is the one commonly used in case I had a distress call?
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve