Reel grease and oils...

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Reel grease and oils...

Post by jbdba01 »

Can you share with me what grease/oil you use on your reels? I've splashed mine for the umteenth time and figure that the grease I'm using probably isn't the best stuff.

I did a search and came up with Inox.

Then there's - what grease should be used on the drag vs gears.

The final question...where do you put grease vs oil?

I suspect that there's a youtube video for this - but some pf.com opinions would be appreciated.
JB
FrankC

Re: Reel grease and oils...

Post by FrankC »

What type of reels are we talking about?

Grease in spinning rod bearings is fine, but it slows down casting reel bearings. I have never seen a reel bearing oil which would stay on for very long, so those bearings require frequent oiling.

Post by 0119 »

Reel grease like Penn's but Yamaha marine grade grease is better. Never put regular grease on drag components, only drag specific grease such as Cal's. Bearing get oil, grease is o.k. for spinning reel bearings but you have to remove their shields to pack them and o.e.m. b.b.'s will usually have shields that cannot be replaced. Grease on gears worm gears in spinners and their shafts. Its best to search the tutorials on alantani.com for how to's on specific models though there is no love for the spinning reel there.
BlueCrab

Post by BlueCrab »

I really like Smith and Wesson Lubricant and Protectant (made for guns and meets MIL SPEC requirements) for my baitcasters.

I use Quantum Hot Sauce Reel grease on my spinning reels (also makes pawl fly reels last longer when used it salt).
Old School T160

Marion Jay "JayB" Brewington
July 26, 1949 - April 16, 2009
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

FrankC wrote:What type of reels are we talking about?
Sabalos 2000/3000 and Penn 2000. The pretty much have the same internals.
JB
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Any reel oils will work although I use silicone oil. S&w gun oil and paint ball oil is silicone oil both are good for reel oils. Marine grade grease with teflon is a good choice for spinning and conventional reels. A lighter grease should be used light gears. Drag felts get oiled while fiber drag washers can be left dry or greased. I perfer to lightly grease and oil so the washers don't get stuck. You have to use a drag grease, something light, smoothe that won't thicken at high temps.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
Rik

Post by Rik »

Now I know what will be in the 5 reels that I just sent to Phil for servicing.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Phnd wrote:Any reel oils will work although I use silicone oil. S&w gun oil and paint ball oil is silicone oil both are good for reel oils. Marine grade grease with teflon is a good choice for spinning and conventional reels. A lighter grease should be used light gears. Drag felts get oiled while fiber drag washers can be left dry or greased. I perfer to lightly grease and oil so the washers don't get stuck. You have to use a drag grease, something light, smoothe that won't thicken at high temps.

Thanks Phil...that reminds me. I need to send you a reel or two. Cabo 50 - what was your website/address again.
JB
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Something which may be interesting information.

I was in the mechanical seal business, and the engineers ran tests to compare greases. When they used silicon grease, they found they could wipe down the part after greasing, and it still left a slick surface. It was nearly impossible to get the stuff off metal. We settled on Dow Corning 111.

It is expensive, but I am still using a tube bought in the 80's.
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Thats why I use silicone grease and oils. I use what use to be called Dow 33. Minus 100 to plus 3 or 40 degree. Its great for light loads and drags.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Phil, that sounds like a must purchase to me. The 111 has a pretty high viscosity and is only really useful on metal.
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

There's a boatload of sifferent grades of silicone oil and grease so you have to find one that applies
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com