Sick Snook Photos

sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Re: Sick Snook Photos

Post by sfurman »

Um, Loren is aware that those are different species of fish and that it is not really a fair comparison, I am not disputing the fact that in some cases the fish are definitely getting smaller but, in the first photo the catch of the day was mainly jew fish, jew fish take was closed sometime in the 80’s I believe, for good reason. Those fish are big again today and if they were allowed to be lined up like that, the picture would not be too much different but, it is unlikely that that will be allowed, however a limited take of jew fish (goliaths as they are now called for PC reasons) is being sought as it should.

Fishermen today are slowly starting to accept conservation and the idea of limiting your catch instead of catching your limit. There is no reason to have a catch and release only fishery for any fish that is edible as long as the fish is managed correctly and is managed for abundance, like snook for example.

I still know people though that only fish for one reason and that is to take home meat, they see no reason to fish if you are intending to throw anything back. I fish a lot and I keep a fair amount but there are times that I go fishing and release everything I catch. I just enjoy being out on the water and the challenge of fishing, especially with artificial lures.

Look at tournaments today, most are catch photo release and are very popular, there are still some dead fish tournaments out there though.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
americanrobster

Post by americanrobster »

These pictures just show how much conservation plays a vital role these days.
Rob

Heritage Redfish 12'

Heritage Redfish 14'
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

I grew up on a barrier island in SE Florida when snook fishing was awesome, there were no limits, and people didn't eat them.

That was then and this is now. I cannot fault people who did this way back when we didn't know better and therefore there were no regulations. Thank god and some people with good sense that we have the FWC and their administrative rules!

See page 57 HERE -- The Jetty Conchs caught more snook than we can ever tally. And that was just from one barrier island!
btw - Jim Branch is an old family friend and a huge conservation supporter these days.
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Jolt head pogy and yellowtail compared to jewfish?? And someone actually thinks that is a fair comparison of fish size.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Dead and jaw hung fish pictures should be outlawed regardless of the times or the species. The resource deserves more respect. Thats just my opinion.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

Nearly all or possibly all the fish in those photos are edible, and they were used as food after the pictures were taken. No one thought a thing about selling their catch in the past.

I would hate to see catches such as those kept today, but those pictures were taken many years ago. Today we have size and numerical limits guarding the resource which is good. Fish are a source of food which many enjoy even including many vegetarians.

Could you imagine what the catch on commercial fishing boats was in the old days?
Rik

Post by Rik »

MrSpectaculous wrote:Dead and jaw hung fish pictures should be outlawed regardless of the times or the species. The resource deserves more respect. Thats just my opinion.
Jaw hung pics don't make it on this site. As a bit of historical perspective, though, these old pics serve a purpose to further strengthen our current attitudes on conservation. I'm quite pleased to hear the disgust in most of the posts in this thread.

I am one of the guys on this site with some age and remember years gone past when every fish was jaw hung. I have many pics of myself with a high 30 inch snook proudly hung from its jaw. We just know so much more these days about the physical make up of the fish we catch. 35 years ago we had no idea that it was very likely a death sentence for the fish.

If some creature 20 times my size were to display me for a pic, I'd much rather he held me horizontal instead of hanging me by my lower jaw.

Besides, a horizontal fish is much more photogenic than a vertical fish. Even if you're going to eat the fish later on.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley