Weather app

Rik

Weather app

Post by Rik »

I went to a ball game yesterday at Ed Smith stadium in Sarasota. Around the 6th inning a dark cloud was approaching and one of the girls in our group sitting out in left field took out her phone, fired up a weather app and said "In one minute we're going to have light drizzle that will last for 3 minutes."

Yeah, right, but in about a minute we had a light drizzle falling on us. And it lasted about 3 minutes.

Okay, good guess, I'm thinking until we see another dark cloud coming and she says "This one will hit in 3 minutes and be light rain that should last for 6 minutes." She trusted it so much she got up and went for cover.

So, skeptical me sat there for 3 minutes until the light rain started falling. Since it was hot out there I stayed sitting for the 6 minutes of light rain.

The app claims to be able to make that kind of prediction for up to an hour. Worked twice yesterday. It is called Dark Sky and costs $3.99.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Weather app

Post by Manning »

Funny you mentioned this app. Dale Earnhardt Jr. tweeted a screen shot from this app recently and I took a look at it but did not buy it. I don't buy many app's but this one is starting to look interesting. Oh what the hell I am loading it on my phone as I type this. Will let you know what I think once I have used it for a while.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

Manning wrote:....I don't buy many app's but this one is starting to look interesting.
I don't pay for apps either but this one had me rethinking that if it always works as it did yesterday. I was hoping I'd be able to get someone to give me a second opinion. Thanks Steve.

And you follow Dale Jr. on Twitter?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Played with the new app today and I really like how it works. Was pretty accurate as those bands of rain passed through.

Dale Jr. Just started tweeting a couple weeks ago and he has been pretty active. Us retired guys have more time to read tweets.

Steve
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Went to the web site.. looks like its only for the iCrap's
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Rik

Post by Rik »

krash wrote: looks like its only for the iCrap's
Jealousy is such an ugly emotion
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

So this morning my wife asks if I want to go walking. I check Dark Sky and it says will start drizzling in 10 minutes and stop in 20. We wait for the rain to pass just as predicted and then went walking. It is working for me.

Steve
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Always interested in a newer & better weather, tide, wind app for fishing reference tools library.. did a little mo looking and managed to find the web-site and there are driod versions .. Its calledArcus: Hyper Local Weather will be checking it out there is a Free version and a $2.47 pro version which get rid of the ad's.. loaded the pay version ....
Rocking an unlocked Nexus 5..............
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Been using Dark Sky for years. It works well most of the time. I use it a lot fishing in the evenings during the summer months. Word of warning, it doesn't take into account the stuff that forms overhead. I find it to do a good job showing when general rains and fronts move through but it isn't so accurate with summertime storms. I do find it better than any other weather map/ radar. Just don't trust your life with it. I speak from experience.

Also, even though it might tell you that you have 45 minutes till the rain starts ,a strong gust front can really make paddling back to your car rather difficult especially I'm low tide.