advantage of a 14' over 12' yak?

hector_750

advantage of a 14' over 12' yak?

Post by hector_750 »

I'm trying to get some input for a new yak, I currently have the ride 115 which is just shy of 12'. Which I originally bought for the local river, anyway I want to build a new set-up just for saltwater fishing, my question is what are the advantages of a 14' over a 12? Right now I'm leaning towards the Malibu stealth 14 I like the way its setup. Anyway ur opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Re: advantage of a 14' over 12' KAYAK?

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Length=Speed
Beam=Stability

The only other issue is if you fish deep water. Not a problem getting the tip of an 8' rod around the bow of a 12' boat. A 14' boat, not so much.
Please, call me Kate
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

I have been fishing the Malibu Stealth 14 off the beach for years now and love it. No problem getting an 8ft rod around the tip of kayak. Very stable boat.
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

So the 14' should track faster? Never been on A 14'.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

hector_750 wrote:So the 14' should track faster? Never been on A 14'.

Depends on the model. A 14' Malibu Stealth will not be as fast as a 14' Tarpon 140, which in turn will not be as fast as a Hurricane 14' Phoenix. It all depends on the hull make, how wide it is and the material used to make the kayak.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

hector_750 wrote:So the 14' should track faster? Never been on A 14'.
Tracking refers to the ability of a kayak to move in a straight direction. A kayak that "tracks" well is a more efficient kayak to paddle. With that said "track faster" does not make sense. A 14' kayak, all things being the same, will be a faster kayak than a 12'. But, we are talking heavy plastic kayaks here so the bigger difference you will see is a lighter kayak will be faster but it usually comes down to paddling ability and correct paddle strokes when it comes to faster.

Also, keep in mind what you want to do with the kayak and where you are going to store it.. A 14' kayak has more storage capability if you want to bring a lot of stuff, camp, etc.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Rik

advantage of a 14' over 12' KAYAK?

Post by Rik »

Heywood wrote:
Depends on the model. A 14' Malibu Stealth will not be as fast as a 14' Tarpon 140, which in turn will not be as fast as a Hurricane 14' Phoenix. It all depends on the hull make, how wide it is and the material used to make the kayak.
But, yes, a 14 foot SOT will generally be faster then a 12 foot SOT. Watch a 12 foot or less kayak being paddled and you'll they "wobble". In other words, the point of the bow goes back and forth as they are paddled. You really see it in the 8 and 10 footers you see being used by 'tourists'. 14 foot and longer tend to not wobble. More of the stroke energy goes towards pushing the kayak forward.

The downside is with longer length comes more weight. That's when you should include the Hurricanes in your search. Those kayaks are considerably lighter than the rest due to the material used.

There are demo days all over the place. Check with the various different kayak shops.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Just wanted to mention your Ride 115 is a perfectly fine saltwater fishing platform. Also imho the difference between a 12' and 14' kayak is no where near as dramatic at the difference between a 12' kayak and a 16' kayak. I always advise people to buy the longest kayak they can afford.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Geez Todd give me a break, new to kayaking! But thanks I really like the layout on stealth, but I will def. Look into the others, Rik thanks a lot definitely the explanation I was looking for!!

John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Malibu and speed do not go in the same sentence.

14 gives you more space and better tracking over 12 of the same model.

Your ride is perfectly fine for saltwater
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

A 12' fits nicely in a full size truck without extender; you can go without a bed extender on a 14', but you're pushing your luck. It will bounce around. Just one more thing to put on the truck before you hit the water.

If you're lugging it to a rooftop consider weight.

Try out the boat and make sure you're good with it. My wife and daughter do not like the sit in because it's too wide for their paddle stroke. They bang the gunnels with their hands/paddles. I put them in the sit ins and they are good to go.

I would look at a boat that you feel comfortable standing up in. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Sit on top vs. sit in is your next consideration. If going "near" off shore for poon and what not, I would go with a sit on top. Mainly in the event that you flip you'll be hating life in a sit in - especially if you're by yourself.

I would also buy used - you'll save a bunch of $. I have 3 kayaks with paddles for the total of $1500 or so. Great boats no - good boats yes.

Other than that keep it simple. Less is more. I go with 3 rods, but would be fine with 1.

My $.02.
JB
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Good idea, that's exactly what I'm going to do, I'm just going to take my time and fine a good used one, meanwhile ill keep using the ride! Besides my wife doesn't have one so good enough reason right there to get one!

22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Go 16' or go home.
gggeorge

Post by gggeorge »

When looking at them look at the width as well. For instance the WS Tarpon's that are 12' and under are 30"or 32" wide where as the 14'and 16' Tarpons are 28" wide. I take my 14' Tarpon everywhere with now problems; little ponds and the ocean as well. I would be a little less comfortable taking a 12' yak in the surf. But the best thing you can do is try them all out if you can. Borrow or rent the ones your looking at and put them thru the paces.