Dear Wind

Rik

Dear Wind

Post by Rik »

There are certain times when you are quite enjoyable to have around. When I am flying a kite. On those blistering hot August afternoons. You're especially lovely when you decide to increase by several miles per hour and push on my back when I make the turn to paddle home. However, right now at the beginning of tarpon season - YOU SUCK!

Have had my mind set all week on a Friday morning beach tarpon session before all the weekend cowboys get out there. After consulting Windfinder it looks like I will be desk bound. 15 - 22 mph out of the north? Really? 4 foot waves out of the west? Really? You've had the Gulf all churned up for a couple weeks now.

You're supposed to blow 5 mph out of the east at this time of year. It's tarpon season! Can you please give us a break?

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Dear Wind

Post by Manning »

I feel your pain.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Thought the same things when I launch yea old stinkpot last weekend from Williams Park. I think the forecast was 5-8; Dang if it wasn't 10-15 at the Skyway. The solo quest for poon was on - as well as for about another 30-40 boats. Side imaging sounded a whopping 0 poons, but did show a bunch of bait (threads). I didn't see a single poon roll, much less any rods bent.

53 miles later (yes 53) in a modified V hull, I made it back home with only a couple medium Blacktips to show for it.

Took me 3 days for my back to recover.

I doubt I'll make that trip again...
JB
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Real men fish through it. Jumped my first one of he season Sunday while the rest of the tarpon wranglers stayed in bed. I did get a wee bit seasick though. :colors:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

YOU SUCK!
Don't you mean YOU BLOW!
0 0 1
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Now you did it, it's really blowing out there this morning.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

WNW for the next few days - finally out of the East on Monday.
0 0 1
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

shamus wrote:WNW for the next few days - finally out of the East on Monday.
Thas funny we (SE coast) pray for W, NW, or SW.. its been out of the East (E, ENE,NE, SE) for weeks.. supposed to turning tomorrow nite and be SW at least for Saturday morning.
Last edited by krash on Sat May 31, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Have you considered gaining some weight :o
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Rik

Post by Rik »

I'm eating a snickers bar right now
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

There is a rule.....somewhere, in a kayak - the wind is ALWAYS blowing from the direction you wish to go.
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Don't eat that snickers Rik. Just stuff it in your pocket. That way you won't have to carry it around the next 20 years. I had a charleston chew fall out of my skin folds just the other day I ate 2 weeks ago.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Mark R wrote:There is a rule.....somewhere, in a kayak - the wind is ALWAYS blowing from the direction you wish to go.
Correct.. unfortunately here in the S/SE area we fish Biscayne Bay and unless paddling across 8 to 9 miles of choppy Bay there is little if any hiding from E winds. The alternative is the dreaded 2 hour drive to Flamingo, Choko, or Ft. Pierce

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~