What the Hell Is Going On Here or Actually Not Going On

JoeS

Re: What the Hell Is Going On Here or Actually Not Going On

Post by JoeS »

Manning wrote:
John wrote: People move on, people get tired of the cliques
John I think this definitely has been part of the problem. I stayed away from it in my original post, but I have heard this from a number of people I have discussed this with face to face.
I have heard the same thing way too many times in the past as well......My answer has been and always will be.....Cliques are a way of life they are human nature, you have them everywhere, work, church, recreation, even at home.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Hit the docks around Bird Key in search of Sheepies. Water was Gin clear and they would spook if you got within 10 feet of them. Landed a few but Noles and I decided only to keep them if they were over 16 inches, every thing I caught was was 14 inches so back they went. Noles did wrangle one out from under a dock that was well over the 16" limit. Almost lost a anchor but luckily there was a scuba diver taking a fish count who saved the day.
0 0 1
BigFlyReel
Supporter 2011 - 2013

Post by BigFlyReel »

JoeS wrote:
Manning wrote:
John wrote: People move on, people get tired of the cliques
John I think this definitely has been part of the problem. I stayed away from it in my original post, but I have heard this from a number of people I have discussed this with face to face.
I have heard the same thing way too many times in the past as well......My answer has been and always will be.....Cliques are a way of life they are human nature, you have them everywhere, work, church, recreation, even at home.....
However, when the cliques start belittling others, or there's constant disrespect and negativity, those not "on the inside" may drift away, or even make conscious decisions to spend their time elsewhere. No different than bars. For the most part, you can buy a beer anywhere, but the environment and experience are what generate loyal repeat customers.
____

Native "Slayer Propel 13"
Native "Ultimate 12"
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Well stated Greg.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
Capt. Jack

Post by Capt. Jack »

I've been to a paddle-in and a couple of the PFTS events and I never felt partuclarly welcomed, as everyone seemed to already have their own cliques, which I understand is human nature, but acknowleding a new face would go a long way. I feel like Rik and some of the other veterans are quite snarky and cynical to a fault.

I used to verbally market the site to people I met on the water, but I rarely visit the site any more myself and it would be wasting my breath to mention the site.

When I want to check out kayak fishing forums, I usually start with Jacksonville's site, because it seems to have a real sense of community and the content is exponentially richer.

I don't have high hopes for this site under the current regime, but I am hopeful that things will improve. This post may seem a bit harsh, but I didn't speak outside of how I truly feel.
Our tradition is that of the first man who snuck away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by Norm »

John wrote:The times they are a changing, the Halcyon days are gone, the internet is its own worse enemy.

Fishing forums have been on a steady decline since 2009, when Facebook began is pervasive explosion.

People move on, people get tired of the cliques, the ying yang, it's the same old song, yesterday is gone, worry about tomorrow.

Personally I haven't posted a report in years, and most of the subjects have been pretty much covered ad infinitum, like an old dog, I keep hanging around, raising a leg here and there and pissing people off.
John is spot on....Facebook seems to be the easiest spot for people to post and communicate now and I'm certainly guilty as anyone.

Maybe the Forum has run it's course...but maybe not. No doubt it needs an injection of some sort....penicillin :?: Not sure that could cure it either.

On a side note...I understand the hassle that putting on a tournament can be and no doubt it is a pretty downright thankless job. Oh yeah...we always say thank you at the pic and sip to the tournament manager...but that's still gets old after awhile. It's a grind. Seems we made it more complicated though....and I know it was an attempt to make it more interesting, but seems if you just go back to the ONE LURE concept....5 or 10 dollar entry fee, and keep it to a regular slam...maybe...just maybe it might bring some back.
I'm in for the Paddle-In as well.

This last year has been a pretty eventful one for me and I'm hoping things slow down and clear up enough so I can get back to a more normal routine.
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
Rik

Post by Rik »

Cliques.....they are a part of every forum out there. When there are guys that have been on the forum for over 10 years its only natural that certain groups would form. With 4,000 members, it pretty much guaranteed that you'll like some guys better than others. Its only natural that there would be inside jokes that only those who have been a round a while would understand. The new guys just have to thicken up their skin a bit, realize the jokes aren't aimed at them and join in. Over the years I've seen many a new guy join in and become a regular and I've watched many a new guy sitting off to the side feeling like he's not being let in. There's very little 'not letting in' around here, though some exists, but a lot of guys feeling like they're not being let in.

I can point to one new guy who has recently posted. He posted about catching fish and asked a bunch of questions. He got a few congrats and a lot of answers to his questions. He joined in. He could have not posted and wondered if he'd be ridiculed for not knowing the answers to his questions. This has never been a forum where you put up a fishing report and get a lot of "yu da man", "you slayed um", "thems some hogs" and other 3 word phrases like you get on many other fishing forums. We're the oldest kayak fishing forum in Florida and it has never been like that.

In Florida I've seen two new kayak fishing forums started because they complained about cliques. Now there are people complaining about the cliques on those forums. Now those guys that complained the loudest and nastiest about cliques have gone off done the same thing they complained about.

The PFTS worked well at getting folks from all the different cliques, and those that were clique-less, out on the water and back at a gathering together. We even set them up so it wasn't the same 3-5 guys who won every time. I really thought everyone liked them but the sign up for what was supposed to be our first of the season had 8 people. That was disappointing.

Forums are tough. The written word has no inflection. Many written statements can be interpreted 6 different ways. Most of the time interpretation is on the reader. If the reader is in a bad mood before he even opens the thread, he will interpret the words different than if he's in a fantastic mood.

My advice is just start a conversation. Put up a fishing report. Tell us about a new place where the reds are plentiful, oversized and hungry. No, wait, send that to me in a private message. Found a new piece of gear that isn't ridiculously overpriced and is very useful, tell us about it. Tell us about your fishing trip that turned into and eco-tour (i.e. you didn't catch any fish). Post a fishing report. I know, I already said that. He just needs to be said again. And again.

And who wants to start a Paddle-In thread? I started a PFTS thread and it failed to gather much attention. Maybe someone else should start a Paddle-In thread and see if it can get some traction.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

Norm wrote: On a side note...I understand the hassle that putting on a tournament can be and no doubt it is a pretty downright thankless job. Oh yeah...we always say thank you at the pic and sip to the tournament manager...
I stopped running the PFTS for two reasons. One was the fact that my daughter is in a competitive sport and there was no way for me to plan the tournaments ahead of time around that schedule. Secondly, no one hardly ever said thanks for taking the time and effort to put it on. It became that I kept a running total of how many anglers out of the 40 or so showed up who actually came up and said "Thanks". FYI, the number was never higher than 20%. Running the tournaments is a thankless job.

This forum could take off again with little to no problem if more people than just a few took over and planned a PFTS or a paddle in.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
Paul
PFTS SPONSOR
PFTS SPONSOR

Post by Paul »

A lot of good points have been made and there are a lot different factors that "draw us in or push us away"
For me, Facebook is the one social media thing that I keep up with. Before Facebook paddle-fishing was the one thing that I kept up with.

I have enjoyed the Paddle-fishing forum for many years and have met some cool dudes....bro
I followed Angler X cuz he knew which lures redfish luv.
Enjoyed the Hornetbear's pictures and several others that took beautiful pictures.
We have lost a few good men and women in our forum to illness too.

My work schedule keeps me from fishing as often as I like. But the PFTS Tournament was something I always tried to put on the calendar.

It would be sad to see the Paddle-fishing forum fade away we all need to put a little more effort into it.
Paul Silvernail
"Pimpin' ain't easy....but it's neccessary"
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

It all went downhill once I got banned the first and second times.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

At least the PF Paddle-Ins are public knowledge, EVERYONE is welcome. Not some super secret handshake email decoder ring thing. :roll:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

22acrowd wrote:It all went downhill once I got banned the first and second times.
Third times a charm.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Heywood wrote:At least the PF Paddle-Ins are public knowledge, EVERYONE is welcome. Not some super secret handshake email decoder ring thing. :roll:
Look who's feeling better.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

DaveR wrote:
Heywood wrote:At least the PF Paddle-Ins are public knowledge, EVERYONE is welcome. Not some super secret handshake email decoder ring thing. :roll:
Look who's feeling better.
:tongue1:
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Todd wrote:
22acrowd wrote:It all went downhill once I got banned the first and second times.
Third times a charm.
If an internet legend gets banned on a fishing forum in 2014 will anyone be around to see it?
FrankC

Post by FrankC »

When we first got involved in kayak fishing many years ago, it was the first site I opened when starting the computer. There was much information available to help people get into the game but not so much anymore. People became close mouthed to prevent anyone from learning the areas they enjoyed fishing and became territorial. I check out the site from time to time but seldom make a post.

The site was more new user friendly back then but has gotten a little stale over time. This is a shame as there are some great people here who I am quite fond of. If you do a side by side comparison with the Jax site, the difference will become fairly obvious.

I certainly would like to see it revitalized.