Recommendation for a new reel

kmeng

Recommendation for a new reel

Post by kmeng »

Hello fellow pf-ers. I have a birthday coming up and my wife asked what I wanted. Of course my first thought was fishing gear - duh! I would have asked for a new paddle or something but she already surprised me with a full carbon Aqua Bound Manta Ray for an early Christmas gift.
So, I would like a few recommendations for a new reel. I would appreciate it if you have real experience with them. I have two Penn Battles and am looking to replace one of those. I would love a Stradic FJ or Ci4 but those are a bit pricey. I'm thinking around $100

I've heard good and bad things about the Okuma Helios and Wright&McGill Sabalos but any advice would help. Maybe I'll ask for a gift card and pay the difference.

Your thoughts?
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Re: Recommendation for a new reel

Post by jbdba01 »

I've had the Penn Battle, Sabalo 2500/3000/4000, and Stradic FJ 3000.

I would skip the Penn Battle series - it corroded out twice in one year. Good customer service bad product.

My Sabalos (I have 5 of them - multiple rigs for multiple kids) are on year 5/6. These are decent reels and you get what you pay for. Replacement parts are nonexistent, but you can send it back for 50% and they send a new one. They do require more TLC as they age. I bought mine on sale for $59 at Dicks so that's hard to beat. I do fish them every weekend, sometimes more. They are quite smooth - the drag will probably be the first thing to go. They are felt. I've had 0 corrosion issues, but it's not water tight. So dunk it and you'll be opening it up. I like the 2500 because it's so light, but on a big fish you have the potential to be spooled - especially on a long cast. Line quantity aside I've landed +30" fish without issues.

The Stradic is the Cadillac of my reels - it has a really smooth drag, very little maintenance, but...the retrieve is just a bit harder than the Sabalo. That said it's $160 or so so I would expect it to be VERY good. I've dunked it and it has had zero issues. I have a couple guide associates who swear by the Stradic. They are their work horses - day in day out.

I would be curious to hear feedback on the Okumas.

Knowing what I know, if you're only buying one reel and can afford it - get the Stradic. Or think of it this way - you can get 2-3 Sabalos for the price of one Stradic. Toss it after a year (or keep it for extra parts).

On a side note - I also have the Wright McGill rods and have replaced two (out of 5) in 6 years. I'm not keen on the color, but to get a new rod for $30 it's hard to beat and it was no questions asked. So for 2 rods I was in it for $130 each in 5 years. The $30 included the shipping. Occasionally they'll go on sale to $89 as well.
JB
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

Shimano Stradic (Ci4) or Daiwa Ballistic reels are great. The only sub $100 reel I've ever had hold up is a Penn Sargus. Smooth reel and solid drag for the price, but a little heavy.
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
kmeng

Post by kmeng »

I'm probably going to try to get the Stradic FJ. Amazon has the Stradic for $158 w/ free shipping which is a pretty good deal as far as I can tell

I have a W&M rod and I really like it. I had my first one snap on me fighting a big Red and they replaced it for $30 like you said. I cut it up and crammed it into a usps prepaid box lol

fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

I don't think you'll go wrong with the Stradic. I have FH, FI, FJ and CI models from 2500 to 4000 series. In the end it all comes down to personal preference and the depth of your wallet. I'm sure there are those that would say nothing less than a Stella would do. If I ever spent that much $ for a reel, first I'd be divorced, next I'd have it on a stainless lanyard that would weigh more than the reel. Bang for the buck a good deal l on a Stradic is hard to beat.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

I just gave away 4 old Stradics, they gave up the ghost after a year or so, despite regular servicing, I am now using Team Diawa Advantages and have been for over 10 years, still smooth, still great, they are better at this age are still better than the Stradics ever was. I was gutted when Diawa gave up making them, the Ballistic is on my radar for when/if these TDA's ever quit.
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Rik

Post by Rik »

I won an ashtray at a PFTS that I traded for a Shimano Symmetre courtesy of Walt Ruda and Metalfab. For an inexpensive reel it has been better than most of its more expensive brothers and sisters in the Shimano line up. You can buy two of them for the price of one Stradic.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JKL

Post by JKL »

I have been fishing a okuma helios for 9 months now with no complaints. I think for the price it has good value but time will tell on the durability.

JKL
JKL
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Buy a Van Staal. Yes they are expensive but still cheaper than replacing $100 reels every 1 1/2 years.
0 0 1
pbr

Post by pbr »

Wavespin! 5 years old and going strong.
Rik

Post by Rik »

pbr wrote:Wavespin! 5 years old and going strong.
Consistency over the years, Pat
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
kmeng

Post by kmeng »

Well the wife got me a Stradic FJ 3000. I used it this past weekend and I love how light it is compared to my battle of the same size. I also really like the drag, it hasn't been fully tested on a big red yet but it worked nicely on the multitude of ladyfish and trout I caught.

After a while, I'll give my .02 with a full review and comparison to the battle.

Thanks for everyone's input.

fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

Congrats on the new reel. I look forward to some pictures of defeated reds, trout and snook.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Really am happy with my Stradic FJ's and the newer Ci4's. I am using 3000 FJ's (2) and one 3000Ci4 and one Ci4 4000. One thing I would add is water washdown after each trip and reel oil every couple of months.
I have purchased all my reels from Discount Tackle in Bradenton as they are the only dealer I know of with 'discounted' prices on new Shimano. :cheers: