Safety

fishshooter99

Safety

Post by fishshooter99 »

In the last couple of years I can think of three very unfortunate, sad situations where a kayaker became separated from his kayak and lost his life. I'm sure there are more, but these three came to mind. One was near MacDill in Tampa bay a couple of years ago. His kayak was found and a day or two later his body was found. A year or so ago a kayaker in Navarre went out, his kayak later found. I don't believe they ever found him. Right now there is a kayaker missing off of Gulf Shores. He has been missing since Saturday. His kayak was found today.

Wear your PFD. I think that something just as important is to have a lanyard from you to your kayak. In each of these cases the kayak was found first, which makes since it is large and much easier for rescuers to spot.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Heywood

Re: Safety

Post by Heywood »

fishshooter99 wrote:In the last couple of years I can think of three very unfortunate, sad situations where a kayaker became separated from his kayak and lost his life. I'm sure there are more, but these three came to mind. One was near MacDill in Tampa bay a couple of years ago. His kayak was found and a day or two later his body was found. A year or so ago a kayaker in Navarre went out, his kayak later found. I don't believe they ever found him. Right now there is a kayaker missing off of Gulf Shores. He has been missing since Saturday. His kayak was found today.

Wear your PFD. I think that something just as important is to have a lanyard from you to your kayak. In each of these cases the kayak was found first, which makes since it is large and much easier for rescuers to spot.

The kayaker that launched from MacDill was wearing a PFD. Not to be callous, but he had no business being on the water that day. A very strong North wind made conditions on that part of the bay very sketchy. Coupled with the fact he had very little to no experience in a kayak was a recipe for disaster. He died of hypothermia, as he had drifted from MacDill all the way across the bay to Simmons Park.

Common sense on when to launch and when to stay off the water is just as or more important than wearing the PFD. JMO
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Heywood wrote:Not to be callous, but he had no business being on the water that day.
We had a PFTS event that day. Here's what Tampa Bay looked like from the rest area along the Skyway

There was another guy who drowned in Tampa bay a couple years back. Again, an inexperienced kayaker with previous medical conditions. While he did not have a PFD on, he still would have been found dead.

I don't normally wear a PFD when fishing the typical shallow water we frequently fish. I do when fishing for tarpon off the beach and when in sketchy conditions. Then again, I have a bit of experience and know my limits.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

Heywood wrote:
Common sense on when to launch and when to stay off the water is just as or more important than wearing the PFD. JMO
Truer words never spoken.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

Rik,

If we had a PFTS that day, I know I didn't fish it. I remember driving down to the water off Apollo Beach and saying to myself how bad it was.

Greg Becker was one of the ones who found the body the next day at Simmons Park.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Common sense is the foundation. When in doubt, don't go out.

Almost two years ago I decided to improve my kayaking safety profile. Although up to that time I always had a PFD with me I almost never wore it. It was usually stuffed way up in the bow or out in the stern. Actually I only used it on days that I really should have not been on the water. In addition I fish by myself the majority of time. So I bought an inflatable PFD and told myself that I was going to always wear it. Within no time having it on became second nature and I don't even know it is there.

Maybe I am getting smarter as I get older.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Same story for me Manning.
I'm usually a last minute pack and go fisherman so I fish alone a lot of the time too. After thinking about how useless a vest stored down below or strapped to the bow would be if I got separated, I went to the inflatable and just wear it all the time.
The leash on my ankle was always a pain and in the way, but I always have a leash on the paddle.
The unexpected can happen in a second and it just takes once.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
SPORTSFAN

Post by SPORTSFAN »

Generally where I kayak I can stand so I don't always wear mine. However on a first outing at the end of 59th st I ventured out into the Manatee river. Yes I had my PFD on and still I felt a little intimidated even though I stayed somewhat close to the docks. That didn't stop me from almost being flipped by a wave from a 30+ sportfisher. All my gear etc was secured but it got my attention. Now I just wear it and have gotten comfy with it. Kinda like a seatbelt in a car, didn't like em at first but now I don't go anywhere without one on.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

The body lanyard sounds like a good idea and I am going to rig one up.

I always wear a PDF and have my paddle tethered to the kayak but, if I got washed overboard the kayak could get away in the turmoil.

And, I always study wind and tide forecasts before committing to a launch.

Yes, be safe up there in the Big Bay.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water