Near shore kayaking...

jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Near shore kayaking...

Post by jbdba01 »

So as most people here know over the last few years I poon/grouper fish from yea ol' stink pot.

Lately I've been seeing more kayakers hanging near shore or just off shore - call it from the swim buoys to 1/4-1/2 mile off the beaches. Yes I actually have seen a couple in the pass at Beans point in +10 knot winds, a ripping current, and breakers in the skinny stuff. Zoinks!!

Just throwing this out there for your consideration and safety.

I can normally see the kayakers when I get within 100-200 yards or so, but beyond that many of the kayaks blend into the background - especially the olive drab/green or dark colored ones. When the wind is blowing over 5-10 from the West the swells can literally make a kayaker disappear.

Now if you have a flag (preferably something bright) say 5' up I can see you a long ways off. With the exception of almost running a kayaker over at night (he didn't have any lights and was danger close to the channel), I haven't come close to any kayakers but there are a bunch of folks who really don't look for kayakers - especially PWC folks.

So for whatever it's worth, if you want to be seen from a distance put up a flag and consider wearing a bright shirt/hat. Even a blaze orange hat. Hanging out in close groups helps too - kinda like bikers; they are easier to spot in closely knit groups, but probably isn't the best way to poon fish.

Just some passing thoughts...
JB