Paddle vs Peddle

fishshooter99

Paddle vs Peddle

Post by fishshooter99 »

I wasn't really sure where I should pose this question, here or the rigging area but here we go. I fish about an equal amount in the Bradenton area and in North Florida and have been doing so for many years. In North Florida the peddle yaks (mostly Hobies) now dominate. The advantage they have is fighting the nearly consistent wind in that area. If you are constantly paddling to keep your kayak out of the grass, or off the oysters, you can't hold your rod. They also rock for trolling. I have not seen nearly as many in the Tampa Bay to Sarasota Bay areas. I'm thinking it is because of the abundance of skinny water on the flats in these areas. I'm thinking of picking up a Hobie in the near future and would love to hear from folks that use or have used them in the Tampa-Sarasota areas. I use trailer, so loading on a car top is not part of the equation.

Thanks
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
tackleman

Re: Paddle vs Peddle

Post by tackleman »

Do not get me wrong, Hobie makes a great "boat" but give the Native Slayer Propel a test pedal before you make the purchase. I run guided kayak trips out of the Slayer Propels, and love having reverse. Being able to hold position (dock, structure, etc) Is a great thing. No matter what fishing platform you choose hands free fishing rules IMO. I fish in south Florida (Punta Gorda) and when fishing the many miles of canals , having reverse is unbeatable for working the docks. In the summer time I head north up on Lake Ontario where I also run guided trips, we troll alot so the pedal drive kayaks are the key . Like any thing else every kayak has it's + and - . Make sure you demo both before you choose one. IF you are ever in the Punta Gorda area and would like to go out in a Slayer Propel send me an e mail. I will be back in the area around the 2nd week of Oct.http://watertown.craigslist.org/sks/5130202820.html
Capt. Adrian Englert
http://www.mytimecharters.com
Native Slayer Propel 13
perception tribute 14.0
Native Slayer Propel 13
Native Slayer Propel 13
Walt_Trident13

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

I started out for a couple years on an Ocean Kayak Trident 13. It was a great kayak and it's still hanging in my garage. But then I started seeing more and more pedal craft. They were throwing more and paddling less. I fished with a buddy that has a hobie and he calls it a barge. He can't paddle it since it's so big, plus it weighs a ton. But it is super stable and comfortable. I'm sure the smaller hobies are easier to paddle when needed. Then I started doing more research...really what I was looking for was a kayak that had a more comfortable/higer seat and one that I could easily stand and fish. I locked into the Native Slayers. Super stable and easy to load on the Jeep. Then I noticed the Native Slayer Propel. After one test drive at BJ's I was hooked. It has everything I was looking for. Easily car toped, stable, dry ass, you can pedal, paddle, and pole it with ease. It's a total game changer. Being able to go in reverse is great for when you're getting pulled into the mangroves. Or when you just want to reposition for that perfect cast. Before you commit to a new yak, check them out.
http://www.youtube.com/brentwaltersmith" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Am also included in the Native kayak family.
I paddle the Native Ultimate 12' and I peddle the Native Slayer 10 Propel.
Will agree that Hobie offers some good yaks but hands down the Propel Drive used in the Native models is the game changer with the 'reverse' ability. You mentioned you are at times in the Bradenton area so you are close to the Hobie dealer in Sarasota, Economy Tackle and in Bradenton the Native dealer Discount Tackle. Both stores offer on the water demos so you really need to check them out.
You will find that price is another advantage with the Native brand and as far as the Propel goes Discount Tackle is an Authorized Propel Service Center. I don't believe there is any other APSC in Florida.
hector_750

Post by hector_750 »

Since we're on the subject, I was also looking into the slayer propel over the 2015 hobie outback . So after experiencing being caught in a strong current in pass-a-grille this wknd peddling a 2014 Hobie PA, It took some effort to get through it, to the point where i almost gave up! So i took a deep breath and peddled as hard as i could and I was able to get through, meanwhile a couple on a tandem kayak were strapped around a no swimming bouy marker holding on for dear life. So with having experienced that, I now have another thing to consider, I've seen some videos of hobies dragging a propel drive with ease, indicating hobie would have more torque to push through those conditions, but then again who knows if you can really depend on the stuff you see online compared to actual owners, so anyway if you guys have some thoughts on that pls shoot away. Before i make the decision on purchasing either kayak, i will definitely go test them first. So as of now I am back at square one. Hobie or native? ..
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Never tied up to a hobie but have been in tidal pass at full currents on a few trips at Longboat Pass and also in Strong Winds several times in various locations and have never had any problems keeping the yak going where I pointed it. Your physical size and condition would certainly enter into the ability of your yak to perform. I am 71 years old and weigh 140lbs. so I am pleasantly confident that the propel is a competent kayak.
The Game Changer for me is the reverse offered only in the propel.