"Bunny Charlie"

AndrewP

"Bunny Charlie"

Post by AndrewP »

Well, the real name of the fly is a Bahamas Special, but that just doesn't feel right to me, so I call it a Bunny Charlie. Made for big bones, but I think it will be a hit with the redfish this winter.

Easy tie ..... just tie in Sili legs and flash at tail, wrap (black) thread almost to hook eye, tie in beadchain eyes clouser-style (hook rides up). Measure and cut about a 2" magnum strip of rabbit, cut a "V" tip and tie in at eye of hook and secure back to bead-chain. Whip finish. Last, measure out where hook will penetrate rabbit strip such that strip lies flat along the shank (I do not tie down strip at hook bend) and push strip through hook ....

Use permanent marker to add bars (I think makes the fly look better) ...

Enjoy ...

AP

Disclaimer: Do not take anything I'm about to tell you seriously .......
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Nice!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
islander

Post by islander »

Very nice. I think were missing chartreuse???
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Tore up some reds about a month ago on those. Great looking flies.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
Evan

Post by Evan »

So, what does the "back" (bottom) of the fly look like? Is it just exposed thread wound around the hook shank? Do you cover that with epoxy to keep it from breaking?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

Yup, just exposed thread. One time I wrapped a single strand of copper flashabou over the black thread to get a stripe effect (pretty!)

I don't worry too much about the thread breaking. I'm not fishing on hard bottom or oyster; I'm mostly over grass and sand ....

Finally got these flies in front of some redfish this weekend, and they loved it. 4 to kayak, one pulled hook and one more broke off.

Fly is a bit heavy (that's the rabbit strip), but it moves great in the water ....

AP
Evan

Post by Evan »

OK, I think I've got my brain wrapped around this one. Just a couple more questions: do you need heavier eyes to sink the rabbit strip? I usually use 5/32. Also, what color(s) did you hook those 4 Reds on? My guess is tan?

Here's a tip in return: when tying flies that have exposed thread wraps, tie in a strip of clear V-rib (or 30# test) and wrap it around the thread. Doesn't change the dynamics of the fly, but protects your thread from oysters, ladyfish, snook, etc.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

I'm using medium bead-chain (not sure what the weight is). I like flies that sink slowly for the most part, not ones that drop immeadiately to the bottom.

I used the ginger color, actually .....

Yup, the over-wrap of v-rib or mono would protect the threads .... it does add a little more weight to an already heavy fly. Makes it more like a true "Charlie".

Main reason I don't do it is it's an extra step, and I'm a lazy fly tier ....... :wink:
yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Hmmm, can you tie without rabbit? Now that's an AP fly I'd love to see! ;-)
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.