Nail Biters

AndrewP

Nail Biters

Post by AndrewP »

I've been tying up spoon flies for redfish and black drum -- I use fake fingernails and nail polish. I call them "Nail Biters" but I've also seen the called "Nail-Ums", "Finger Flingers", etc .... not an original tie by any means, but it's effective!!

The tie is simple --

1) just bend the shank of the hook a bit into a curve

2) tie on beadchain on bottom of shank at hook bend

3) tie on tail of choice and wrap extra material around shank up to the eye. Whip finish and cut thread.

4) Glue on false fingernails on top of shank (I use a quick-drying glue just to get the nail in position)

5) After it sets up, turn fly over and fill in the underside of the fly with epoxy

6) Paint with your fingernail polish of choice!!

Results are like this (in black):

and this one in gold ....

Proof that they work ......

Oh yeah, they're not just for redfish. I tie them up in other color combinations for trout, snook, baby tarpon, and largemouth bass.

Here are a couple more:

And another group -- I've had great success with the white/red head one on juvi tarpon and snook ....

Enjoy!!

AP
Last edited by AndrewP on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: Do not take anything I'm about to tell you seriously .......
Rik

Re: Nail Biters

Post by Rik »

Have pics of the underside? Or maybe even a step by step pictorial on making one? And a specific location where there are guaranteed redfish?
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

Naw, sorry, no pics of underside. And no step-by-step pics ...... maybe when I sit down to tie up the next batch I'll do that .........

AP
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Rik, notice that AndrewP completely ignored your, "And a specific location where there are guaranteed redfish?" statement.

He MUST have Private Messaged you ... check your PMs and post this guaranteed spot for all your friends. :mrgreen:
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

GILs_GONE_WILD wrote:Rik, notice that AndrewP completely ignored your, "And a specific location where there are guaranteed redfish?" statement.

He MUST have Private Messaged you ... check your PMs and post this guaranteed spot for all your friends. :mrgreen:

Heh heh heh ..... no need to PM; the spot is ........... the North Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon. Seriously. They're all over right now. They have to be, or else I wouldn't be catching anything ...... ;)
Rik

Post by Rik »

No, Andrew, I wouldn't dare make public that specific spot you PM'd me about.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

AndrewP wrote: and this one in gold ....

Hmmmm.... :idea: I would be tempted to drag this slowly over the beach sand to resemble a Sand Flea.
GIL

GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Rik wrote:No, Andrew, I wouldn't dare make public that specific spot you PM'd me about.
:razz: :D
GIL

yohan1973

Post by yohan1973 »

Andrew, I'm telling your wife that you've been stealing her nails! lol
Stanley Steemer, carpet cleaner.
s2ary

Post by s2ary »

Nice pattern.
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

Bad ARS man! So are the undersides still a little concave even with epoxy or do the wobble fine flat?
Last edited by countryboy_ucf on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."
AndrewP

Post by AndrewP »

They wobble pretty fine due to the bead chain -- I don't think you have to be perfect filling up the underside with epoxy. They seem to wobble better with a loop knot than a straight knot to the eye ......
Wuluf

Post by Wuluf »

Very sharp. It almost looks like a sand flea. I wonder if Permit would go after them?
Wuluf
countryboy_ucf

Post by countryboy_ucf »

Went and picked me up some materials for these spoon flies... I cant express to you how odd it feels to browse for and purchase fake nails and gold nail polish... A fact that was eagerly displayed on facebook by my girlfriend when she found out what I was doing... I used the long ghetto nails because I figured I could make a slightly bigger spoon and file or trim it down to what I need. If you look at the regular nails you can probably only use ten or so out of a pack of 5o because of the smaller sizes. Unless you want to make bluegill flies that is. Will post pics if they work!
Nick F
Hobie Revolution
"More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own
story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me."