Bringing along the fly rod!

Ryanrocksfender

Bringing along the fly rod!

Post by Ryanrocksfender »

Im looking for ideas on how to bring along the fly rod on my kayak. Anyone have suggestions? or am i limited to buying a scotty fly rod holder?
dunfly

Re: Bringing along the fly rod!

Post by dunfly »

If you use a milk crate, you can mount a section of PVC with a slot cut down the side and slip the fly rod into it with the reel protruding though the slot.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
skinnywater

Post by skinnywater »

You can also use the cheap plastic 3 rod holders and zip tie it to your crate. A word of warning though, there is only about 2" of the fighting butt in the holder, and the least bit of leverage will break the butt. Been there, done that one. :oops:
Kevin

"Am I missing and eyebrow?" - Adam Savage
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I use and am happy with the scotty holder. I mounted the block on the side of the crate and use one of the side holes to insert the rod holder. Hang the reel over the crate as opposed to the side of the boat to avoid some paddle splash. I have tried the pvc route, but was always unhappy with the results.

Another product available is the DelStang by Blue Water Designs. Seems like a nice product, but I don't like that it is a fixed angle mount. I like to be able to adjust the angle of the rod on the water. Seems like it would be a good product for a boat without 9' horizontal holders. https://secure3.ntwebb.com/bluewaternet ... tang2.html