Reel Question

JoeS

Reel Question

Post by JoeS »

What side of the reel do you like to crank the handle????I am assuming it is a personal choice because no matter who I ask I always get the same answer.....It is you choice.....I have always had the handle on the right side(I am Right Handed), reason being when I am stripping I don't like anything in the way........if that makes any sense.......Just Curious....is their a correct side?????? :?:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!

Re: Reel Question

Post by 0119 »

Handle on the left. Cast with the right. Never could understand why people would want to change hands so often.
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

0119 wrote:Handle on the left. Cast with the right.
x2
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

x3

I don't quite understand what gets in the way if you have the handle on the left.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

dunfly wrote:x3

I don't quite understand what gets in the way if you have the handle on the left.
Nothing reely(pun intended)....just a mental thing.....
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I am about to tie up some Clousers(white/chart) and head to the beaches for some beach snookies....one of my most relaxing types of fishing.........Right Randy.....
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Cut my teeth on a Zebco 202 and will always crank with my right hand, spin, baitcast, fly. Changing hands with the rod comes sooooooo easy.

I cast and strip with the fly rod in my right hand. Very often, I strip the fish to the net. If I have to put it on the reel then I change hands very fluently. I have no idea why anyone thinks this is a setback ... it isn't.

When that slob is headed right at me and I need to take up slack, I don't want that clumsy/clunky no good for nothing left hand doing any of the reeling. :D

And yes ... "it's your choice." :wink:
Last edited by GILs_GONE_WILD on Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIL

"Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~~ Edward Abbey
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Just out of curiosity .... how many of you left hand winding elitists turn a deep sea rod/reel upside down and reel backwards so you can use your left hand? Ha! :roll: Or a baitcaster for that matter?
GIL

JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I love watching Spinning Guys use a Baitcaster........
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Left hand. Right hand is my power hand. Makes sense to hold the rid with it.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

I know when I go Grouper diggin' that reel handle doesn't switch to the "left" side on any of the "level winds" I've ever fished with. I'm powering that Grouper with my "weaker" hand crankin' like hell with the one the reel was built to crank with.

I suppose it's whatever you're comfy with. :?
GIL

H2F

Post by H2F »

Fly gear, cast right(switch every reel over to left hand) reel left...same with spinning....casting gear cast right, switch hands reel right....dunno why? Done it for 30 years.
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

H2F wrote: ....dunno why? Done it for 30 years.
Pretty much my point. Whatever you're used to and/or comfortable with then by all means ... reel/cast/etc. with whichever hand.

I'm pushing 60yo and don't intend to change much of anything I do at this point. :D
GIL

Rik

Reel Question

Post by Rik »

I want my strong hand/arm on the rod regardless of gear. My weaker hand/arm can spin a reel handle just fine. I want my strength where it's needed.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
GILs_GONE_WILD

Post by GILs_GONE_WILD »

Rik wrote:I want my strong hand/arm on the rod regardless of gear. My weaker hand/arm can spin a reel handle just fine. I want my strength where it's needed.
Hmmmm .....

:roll:
GIL

mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

I am about to tie up some Clousers(white/chart) and head to the beaches for some beach snookies....one of my most relaxing types of fishing.........Right Randy.....
Is that an invite?

I might just show up..my knees can use some saltwater. Watchout for the turtles and sand dredgers.

OBTW ..cast with strong hand strip and reel with weak.