Good low tide

Rik

Re: Good low tide

Post by Rik »

You should have kept that spoon fly a secret. There's a couple fly snobs who will shun you now.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Let'em complain. I've tied for a while and the spoon fly's damn tough to tie well. Epoxy's tricky, so is the mylar. If I get motivated, I'll post a few tomorrow.
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

You should have kept that spoon fly a secret. There's a couple fly snobs who will shun you now.
Everyone will see the light eventually..but they are a pita too tie.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

Anything short of a dry fly is marginal anyway. If you are going to fish streamers in salt, you might as well add a spoonfly too. :wink:
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

So far, as has been well chronicled, the fish have done quite well in terms of avoiding my pursuit -- spoon fly or not. However, the gap is closing.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Tonight's theme? I hate fucking up with the fly rod. Nuff said.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Mike Hodge wrote:So far, as has been well chronicled, the fish have done quite well in terms of avoiding my pursuit -- spoon fly or not. However, the gap is closing.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... nflies.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously, that didn't work.
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

Tied a few with the epoxy only on the outside and some with it on the inside of the mylar. Swabbing the epoxy on the inside is a pain, but it gives the fly better shape and durability. Also, learning how to tie the mylar on correctly takes some practice. Typically, it wants to spin and bunch up in the wrong places.
There's a good four-segment vid on you tube explaining all this. But even after watching that, it takes some practice. I'm getting there.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Nice looking Spoon Mike....... :cool:
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
BearsFan
Egotistical Prick

Post by BearsFan »

Dave - "You got to be shitty before you can get better."

Save the spoon flies for the tourists. There are better option out there, especially if you are tying to sneak up on weary fish in shallow water.

"You think you have problems now? Follow your instincts, it will get worse" -Hatch
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

BearsFan wrote:There are better option out there, especially if you are tying to sneak up on weary fish in shallow water.

such as .. :?:

Those spoon flies look good, take a while to tie?
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Rik wrote:You should have kept that spoon fly a secret. There's a couple fly snobs who will shun you now.
BearsFan wrote:Save the spoon flies for the tourists.
I do palm readings on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Reduced rate for pf.com members.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Mike Hodge

Post by Mike Hodge »

DoubleM wrote:
BearsFan wrote:There are better option out there, especially if you are tying to sneak up on weary fish in shallow water.

such as .. :?:

Those spoon flies look good, take a while to tie?
Yeah, they take a while, enough that my wife noted that it's a good thing I don't tie commercially. But they're worth it, particularly after you see the progress from fly to fly as you gradually get the pattern right.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Their worthiness is for the redfish to decide.

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.