Backwater Paddle

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Rik

Backwater Paddle

Post by Rik »

Backwater Paddle was a sponsor of the PFTS last season and has returned for this season.

When I first saw them last year I didn't give them much credit. Admittedly, I thought it was just another goofy product vying for space in the kayak/canoe fishing market. I looked at it, waved it around a bit and said to myself "okay, interesting idea but I'll never use one". I refrained from saying anything about them because I'd never used one nor did I plan on using one.

Well, as the saying goes, never say never.

I've been paddling my Native Ultimate 14 every time I've been out since I bought it. I'm liking the Native. The Native is a rudderless boat and likes to drift perpendicular to the breeze or current. This requires making small correction strokes with the kayak paddle just to change the boat direction a couple feet. Of course, you have to put your fishing rod down or do that armpit thing to hold the paddle shaft to paddle with one hand. After a couple outings I remembered that 'funny paddle' I had hanging out in the garage.

I now have to recant that 'never'.

I will always take it with me in the Native. Now I can clip the kayak paddle alongside the kayak and fish. When I need to move a bit, the Backwater Paddle is sitting right in front of the seat easily grabbed for a few strokes and then put back. I've also used it to push off of oyster bars, dig a hole in the ground (don't ask) and scare away encroaching fishermen.

I'm told the hook in the paddle is great for grabbing docks, mangroves and other things you need to grab. I've not had to use it for any of that but I'm sure the time will come.

The model I've been using is the Piranha - because I think it looks cooler and it is a bit longer than the other model

the other model is the Predator

Click the logo at the top to go to their site. There's a few videos that show them being used. And, yes, they really do work as advertised.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Shep

Re: Backwater Paddle

Post by Shep »

Hmm. Another old fart tries some new fangled thing and likes it. :wink:
Forgot about those. I'm thinking of getting one for my canoe now.
New place, new fishing adventures.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Shep wrote:Hmm. Another old fart tries some new fangled thing and likes it. :wink:
old dog, new tricks
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

I have been using something similar for quite a while now....I call it my "trolling motor"........I am not sure Dave R uses it but he has one.......Believe it or not a Pickleball paddle or a pingpong paddle work as well.........
"I want to help the helpless, but I don't give a damn about the clueless anymore!
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Never tok it along Joe but I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.