Anchor questions

Have rigging questions or a good idea? Found a good fishing product? Tell us about it.
Ryanrocksfender

Anchor questions

Post by Ryanrocksfender »

Hey everyone. I just need some input on my anchor selection for my kayak. I have a perception pescador 10 foot boat and i do all sorts of fishing from docks and deeper water to flats. Im debating whether or not to get a anchor stick or rig a standard anchor with a trolley. Any input or suggestions are appreciated! thanks.
Rik

Re: Anchor questions

Post by Rik »

In anything over 3 foot of water, you'll need an anchor if you want to stay stuck.

Get both
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Kayakpirate

Post by Kayakpirate »

I will bring my anchor based on weather conditions. Most often I only bring it when it’s going to be windy. I have my anchor rigged to a retractable 16’ dog leash. However, I keep my Steak out pole with me regardless. I purchased a 6’ yak Gear Mud Stick for $49.00. Opposed to the paddle the steak out pole can be an awesome means of stealth maneuvering.
Remember... We work to live, not live to work!

Jeff W.
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

I always carry both, and use both on the trolley. The pole anchor is what I use a majority of the time, but like Rik said, anything deeper than the length of the anchor will leave you drifting without a traditional anchor. I also find it much easier to drop the traditional anchor in while fighting a fish than having to get the pole anchor in the ground.
1okbyme2

Post by 1okbyme2 »

Both, you'll find need for them on most outings.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Joni Mitchell
BlueTuna

Post by BlueTuna »

I use rope and a 10lb weight Gold's Gym from Walmart - ain't pretty but it works!!
"There's no such word as can't" - Dad
David
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I seldom, never, carry an anchor instead use a 4' stake-out pole that always stays stuck unless water is over 4' in which case I say I wish I had an anchor. Made the stakeout pole simple and easy with PVC and a bit of line with a clip, my kayak has 4 deckloops on either side and can be deployed in seconds to either side, release in seconds if need to chase down a running fish. Only problem ever encountered is very hard bottom it don't stick in easily, or water deeper than 4 or 5 feet. I also stuck a Florida Law sticker to it so I can easily refer to the size limits or simple get a quick length on a fish if the stakeout pole is not deployed.

Simple and easy anchor, many guys use a 3 to 6 down-rigger pound ball. Can be rigged as simple as drop over the side attached to a line of course but, attach to bow and/or stern and drop deploy like in a boat, or an anchor trolley is the best idea but you really needed on on both sides of the kayak. Anchor trolley allows you to move the attachment point up and down the length of the trolley to adjust the angle positioning of your kayak to your target.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Rik

Post by Rik »

3.5 pound folding anchor. I rarely anchor but do use it quite a bit to keep the kayak behind me when wading by keeping it folded up and put it out on about 10 foot of line. Solves that problem of the wind blowing the kayak out in front of you.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
dunfly

Post by dunfly »

I use both. My stake out pole is a PVC pipe with a "T" connection at the top. Cheap, but effective. Also, it seems every time I take a guest out they loose one of my stake out poles, so its nice not to have to worry about a $50+ loss. My anchor is a 1.5 lb. folding anchor. It holds the kayak nicely when unfolded and makes a good drag when folded. Carrying 1.5 lb. is a lot better than lugging around a 10 lb weight.

When I am moving around a lot, I just leave the anchor trolley ring at the rear of the kayak and pull the anchor up when I want to move and drop it when I want to stop. I find that is easier than continually moving a stake out pole.
“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste....” — Rahm Emanuel
"Freedom!" - Sir William Wallace
Who is John Galt?
tropicalypso

Post by tropicalypso »

BlueTuna wrote:I use rope and a 10lb weight Gold's Gym from Walmart - ain't pretty but it works!!
Heh, and here I thought I was the only one who did this... :thumbright:
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

ChrisR wrote:...much easier to drop the traditional anchor in while fighting a fish than having to get the pole anchor in the ground.
I've never understood the popularity of stake out poles—PITA compared to simply slipping an anchor or weight into the water, IMO.
1 1 12?