Weedon Island

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

Weedon Island

Post by Rik »

WEEDON ISLAND

Directions: From Tampa, cross the Gandy Blvd. Bridge. Turn left down just before the dog track. Follow the signs

Paddling Difficulty: Moderate.
Closest Tackle Shop: Trapman's on Gandy Blvd

Description: Located on the western shore of Tampa Bay, Weedon Island offers a combination of scenic paddling and good fishing. If you choose to follow the trail, you will find a series of mangrove tunnels linked with quiet lagoons. Quite beautiful and remarkable considering you are in the heart of a metropolitan area. If you are in a canoe you might find some of the tunnels a problem. Even in a kayak you might have to break your paddle apart to negotiate some of the passages. Winter low tides make some of the areas tricky. Paddling time without fishing and following the trail is about 3 1/2 hours.

After a 45 minute paddle (more or less depending upon how much you fish on the way), you will come out on to the western shoreline of Tampa Bay. The area is a no motor zone and is a fish haven. From spring through fall you find plenty of redfish and snook in this area. The reds will generally hang in the channels, while the snook will be found closer to the mangroves.

As you paddle back around the inside you will be in Bayou Grande. This area receives a great deal of pressure but the snooking can be good. Heading back towards and past the launch point will take you up into Riviera Bay. There can be some good snook and trout fishing in the area. Again, this is a high pressure area and best fished on weekdays.
A few notes about Weedon Island. The park does not open until 7:30, so those of you that are early risers will find it hard to adjust. The launch point is upgraded with an excellent dock for departing and arriving. There are a limited number of parking spaces close to the launch. Be prepared to walk after you drop your boat off if you come late. The facilities (pier and restroom) are clean and well maintained. In addition, there is a nice boardwalk and look out tower.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Anyone know if there's a place to put in with shoreline? Reason for this query is that TS1 has a prosthetic leg and had a difficult time using the kayak/canoe ramp.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

teamshaft3 wrote:Anyone know if there's a place to put in with shoreline? Reason for this query is that TS1 has a prosthetic leg and had a difficult time using the kayak/canoe ramp.
You can put in at Gandy, on the beach, and paddle to the front of Weedon from there.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
whodog

Post by whodog »

The area around the Bartow power plant outflow has been designated a Manatee sanctuary. That area is now a "No Enrtry" zone from November 15th thru March 31st.

From the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services
"Pinellas County

The Bartow Electric Generating Plant Manatee Sanctuary is a seasonal manatee sanctuary, containing approximately 12.07 ha (29.82 acres), at the warm water discharge of the Bartow Electric Generating Plant in Tampa Bay, Pinellas County. This seasonal closure will prohibit all waterborne activity at this site from November 15 through March 31.
"

Here is a link for a more detailed explanation.
http://www.fws.gov/northflorida/Manatee ... -nov02.htm

I've included an edited map of the area with this updated information.

Michael
Never mind.......
srsfsu

Post by srsfsu »

Hasn't that been a no-entry for years now?
JoseC

Re: Weedon Island

Post by JoseC »

Rik wrote:WEEDON ISLAND

Directions: From Tampa, cross the Gandy Blvd. Bridge. Turn left down just before the dog track. Follow the signs

Paddling Difficulty: Moderate.
Closest Tackle Shop: Trapman's on Gandy Blvd

Description: Located on the western shore of Tampa Bay, Weedon Island offers a combination of scenic paddling and good fishing. If you choose to follow the trail, you will find a series of mangrove tunnels linked with quiet lagoons. Quite beautiful and remarkable considering you are in the heart of a metropolitan area. If you are in a canoe you might find some of the tunnels a problem. Even in a kayak you might have to break your paddle apart to negotiate some of the passages. Winter low tides make some of the areas tricky. Paddling time without fishing and following the trail is about 3 1/2 hours.

After a 45 minute paddle (more or less depending upon how much you fish on the way), you will come out on to the western shoreline of Tampa Bay. The area is a no motor zone and is a fish haven. From spring through fall you find plenty of redfish and snook in this area. The reds will generally hang in the channels, while the snook will be found closer to the mangroves.

As you paddle back around the inside you will be in Bayou Grande. This area receives a great deal of pressure but the snooking can be good. Heading back towards and past the launch point will take you up into Riviera Bay. There can be some good snook and trout fishing in the area. Again, this is a high pressure area and best fished on weekdays.
A few notes about Weedon Island. The park does not open until 7:30, so those of you that are early risers will find it hard to adjust. The launch point is upgraded with an excellent dock for departing and arriving. There are a limited number of parking spaces close to the launch. Be prepared to walk after you drop your boat off if you come late. The facilities (pier and restroom) are clean and well maintained. In addition, there is a nice boardwalk and look out tower.
U r the man!!! best and most helpful moderator of all the fishing forums I have ever seen.
pag_yaker

Post by pag_yaker »

OK, so help a brotha understand ... is there a "no entry" zone there now? I'm hoping that next weekend will allow me to go jack fishing over there (launching from Gandy).
Jerry White
Contributing author for Paddling.net since 2005
Contributing author for Florida Sportsman Magazine
Member - Florida Outdoor Writers Association
sunset park

Visiting Newb.....

Post by sunset park »

Great site!!
Visiting at the end of february and plan to rent a kayak in Fort de soto. I would also like to try out Weedon but can't find a kayak rental there, any suggestions?

Also plan on wading a bit and using my winter booties only from surfing (from ny) this enough? Any suggestions for a good starting point would be awesome!! Can't wait to get out there.......

thanks
sunset park :D
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

You can rent kayaks at Weedon here-

http://www.sweetwaterkayaks.com/rentals.html

I don't know any of the rates/times but I am sure they are in the link.

If they are just neoprene booties they won't offer any protection from oysters/rocks/etc. You might want to look into a cheaper pair of wading boots or just stay in the kayak.
SRQGator
Grocery Yodeler

Post by SRQGator »

Your surf booties should be fine as long as you don't go walking on live oyster beds. The rubber soles on my Hodgeman wading boots are not much heavier and I've had no problems.
Hooked

Post by Hooked »

pag_yaker wrote:OK, so help a brotha understand ... is there a "no entry" zone there now? I'm hoping that next weekend will allow me to go jack fishing over there (launching from Gandy).
I was thinking along the same lines, Jerry. That's one of my favorite big jacks spots in the winter. Short paddle distance, and almost never fail to find the jacks tearing it up. Nice place to get the fly rod bent.

If you still plan to head there on Saturday, shoot me a PM, I'd like to get out in the afternoon.
Lou aka 'Hooked'

Now Adam's prize was open eyes
His sentence was to see
Day by day, he's worn away
Against reality
yaksailor

Weedon

Post by yaksailor »

If anyone ever gos on a weekday please get a hold of me. Never been there and would love to learn the layout

Also looking at the weedon map where would be the best place to start for reds, trout and jacks....ty
Casey US Navy Ret.
Heritage Redfish 12
Hobie Revolution 13.5
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Post by Todd »

FYI-

The Weedon Island Power Plant converted to natural gas last June. They went from three small plants to one larger one. Due to the conversion they are not putting out as much hot water as in the past. They are still mandated by the state to put out a certain amount of hot water, some sort of manatee protection deal ( another complete conversation for another time) but in effect the fishing around the power plant area has changed a bit due to not the same amount of hot water being put out.
mudfish

Post by mudfish »

Todd wrote:FYI-

The Weedon Island Power Plant converted to natural gas last June. They went from three small plants to one larger one. Due to the conversion they are not putting out as much hot water as in the past. They are still mandated by the state to put out a certain amount of hot water, some sort of manatee protection deal ( another complete conversation for another time) but in effect the fishing around the power plant area has changed a bit due to not the same amount of hot water being put out.
Now this is interesting considering what Merrick has been saying.
Didn't know.
-Cisco-

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

- Eleanor Roosevelt -
OKIE

Re:

Post by OKIE »

Todd wrote:FYI-

I used to work at that plant, now retired. As far as I know they shut down all three steam units there, so I don't know how they can discharge hot water anymore. I just sent a friend of mine an email asking about this, and will post when I find out more. I can tell you all this, in the winter we would go up to the roof and see snook piled up inside the fence in the discharge canal like cord wood. I know I've seen 50 or more in there, they wouldn't hit anything I tell ya. Used to see some of the largest red fish, trout, snook, and tarpon I've ever seen in the winter.
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
OKIE

Re: Weedon Island

Post by OKIE »

Just got a return email from a friend of mine about the plant on Weedon Isle. The old plant has three units inside, has been shut down since last May. The new company built new natural gas units just south of the old plant, and does discharge hot water only when on line. The discharge water temp. can't exceed 10 degrees above the inlet temp, so it will be less than it was. I doubt there is a mandate for warm water for the fish and manatees, as the hot water discharge is only a byproduct of generating electricity.
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen