more lowtide fun 11/10

Flamingo to Big Bend
seeinred

more lowtide fun 11/10

Post by seeinred »

Put in this morning around 7 and it was chilllllyy. The game plan was to get up on a big sandbar and look for reds tailing then follow them up the flats as the tide moved in. I paddled out and after a good 30 minutes paddle I got to the bar where, the night before, I had envisioned big cooper tails waving to me, only to find no tails.

That's ok, just means I had to switch up the game plan. I started wading around in knee deep water casting to the potholes and mullet schools with a 6" watermelon red fleck bass worm. It wasn't long before I picked up a trout, odd I thought in this shallow of water, but then I caught another, and another, and another. Not just any ordinary trout, the average size was around 22" with several at 25"! Then I finally hook something with some shoulders and starts burning drag I'm thinking, finally a red, when a HUGE yellow mouth errupts out of the water shaking violently. I get the fish to me and put the boga on it, since I didn't have a measuring board I wanted to be sure of it's length so I held it up to my rod as a reference to measure when I got home. I also keep a net in my front hatch in case I ever need it, so I layed the trout in the net and held the net up with my boga and weighed it in at 8lbs! I was psyched, definitely my biggest trout of all time.

Still excited about my trout I continued wading the flat. The tide turned and started coming in and finally I started seeing signs of redfish. I picked up one red that was about 27" on the 6" worm and thought I was going to lay into them after that... not. From then one out I spent most of my time looking at reds laying in potholes and trying my hardest to get them to eat. So I switched baits and put on a Gulp new penny jerkshad and started working the potholes. 10 minutes later I see a slob of a red laying in a pothole up ahead of me. I cast well beyond the pothole and start working it back a couple feet infront of the red. He turns and starts following it slowly, about 10 feet from me I drop the jerkshad over a pothole, twitch it once and let it sit... he eyed it for a second and slurped it rightup, fish on!!

My stradic 2500 started screaming and I knew it was a big fish. After a couple minutes of playing the fish carefully I finally got the boga on her. What a pig!! I weighed her in the net at 15 lbs!! I layed her up against my rod so I could check the length later.

After that I picked up a few more big fat trout and decided to call it around 11:30. I got home and measured my rod where I had marked the fish off and the trout went 28" and the red 35"! Awesome! My biggest red and trout to date, all in the same day!

Sorry no pics, my dad went offshore today with some friends and left before I had gotten up, taking my camera with him! :evil:
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Excellent report. What a fine day you had!
35/34.5/26 24/22/1/1

I finally found Cow Creek. It's at the end of the Road to Nowhere!
Trootin

Post by Trootin »

Heck of a day bro
xfactor

Post by xfactor »

You guys are killing an old man with all these great reports.

Jimmy
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

Go figure, No camera... Catch really nice fish! That's how it goes!
Great job on that monster of a Trout and the stud Red. Way to go!

All I got was 1 Lizard fish and a Flattie 11-3/4". At least I didn't get skunked. Seen quite a few Reds, but couldn't entice them today.

Steve
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve
kspops

Post by kspops »

Congrats on the best to dates, I got the skunk off with a snooklet around CRB with a Mirro-Minnow today, Better than a skunk.
Yes, I can get 20 feet of Pontoon boat equipment on a 16 foot Pontoon boat....
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Tide1on wrote:Go figure, No camera... Catch really nice fish! That's how it goes!
Great job on that monster of a Trout and the stud Red. Way to go!

All I got was 1 Lizard fish and a Flattie 11-3/4". At least I didn't get skunked. Seen quite a few Reds, but couldn't entice them today.

Steve
The reds were being really picky today, definitely has something to do with the front and highpressure that's sitting on top of us right now, they didn't start chewing for me until the tide started coming in and I only got two so it was definitely tough.
For more kayak fishing reports, tips, and fishing charters please visit;
http://tampabaykayakcharters.com/

Spencer
jd

Post by jd »

Dang Spencer,

After that phone call to Cameron, I was hoping to see a picture of that pig. I have not been on a trout bite like that for ever. It must have been a blast. No worries, the pictures are in you head for ever. :D
whodog

Post by whodog »

Ran into Spencer as I was taking out & got the story first hand. I wish you could have seen the smile on his face as he was telling me about his morning. Way to go! Glad your day worked out for you.

(As for me, nothing.)

Now where were we again?? I forget...... :wink:
Michael
Never mind.......
J.P. FROG

Post by J.P. FROG »

Dang, Spencer. What a day!

Congratulations on some fine fishing.
Gary

[i]He who looks outside dreams. He who looks within awakens.[/i]
madmarco

Post by madmarco »

Jeez I thought ? Oh well sorry, hey very nice report!
AKA Rod

Post by AKA Rod »

Congrads on the good catch.
I am too old to die young.