Cobia Action!

Flamingo to Big Bend
madmarco

Cobia Action!

Post by madmarco »

Phil(Phnd) invited Michael(whodog) and me to fish at one of his favorite spots Sunday morning. We also were instructed on how to use Phil’s favorite 52mr lure.
As we reached the area I noticed a lot of water movement. I started throwing my top water
And couldn’t get a strike. Once Phil reached the spot, he signaled us to go over to it.
He kindly attached a 52mr to each of our rods. What a nice guy! Thanks Phil! So now the fishing starts. After a few casts Phil connects with a 22 inch trout. So I start working the lure just as Phil said to do. Its cold but I am sweating! :lol: After a few more tries, I connect a trout but lose it just as I was ready to grab the leader. Shortly after, Phil is fighting something that looks heavy. Took about 5 mins to bring in a 28 inch cobia. After measuring and photos it was released.

A few minutes later, I’m hooked up. Surprising enough another 28 inch cobia.
The trophy finally was caught by Phil after a 15 min battle in which was almost lost due to the hook just barely being on the fish’s lip!

We both hooked up a sting ray that looked way to big to mess with; we had to cut the lines to let them go. The bite stopped there. We continued on. I brought out the soft plastic and caught a dozen or so Jacks about 8-10 inches. The rest of the day was spent looking for trout. We moved to deeper waters and hooked several dozen lady fish. The winds were picking up so we decided to head closer to shore. Phil went ahead and tried the cobia spot again. Yep! He does it again, hooked a 29 in cobia to end the day. We all caught fish and learned what a 52mr can do when worked the Phil method!
Erick
"Mister OLC"
"Mister OLC"

Post by Erick »

Good work on the cobia. One fish I never caught and always wanted to catch.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jim Valvano

{{>=====<}} <'))))><ing
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Awesome job on the cobia! I guess they've moved south out of my area and headed down that way.
LivelyBaits

Post by LivelyBaits »

Cool report.

Dustin,
I hit them as accidental catch off my deeper trout holes or channel edges. It was about 4 weeks ago that they seemed to appear in good numbers. Caught three in one week and about one more per week after that.

Looks like Phil has a primo spot to intercept them.
pee-dash-eff, "Desperate. H.W"
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

Very Nice report ...Phil is always a pleasure to fish with..
We also were instructed on how to use Phil’s favorite 52mr lure.
Did he show you the 16:1 retrieve? :lol:
Nice job getting on those Cobia :!:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
whodog

Post by whodog »

What a great day it was. A cool little breeze in the morning, becoming somewhat windier & warmer in the afternoon. What a beautiful area, too. Hardly any boat traffic to contend with (except for the guy in the blue tower boat running around all over the area all day). Phil knows where the fish are & if they don't bite where he is he moves & goes looking for them. My kind of guy.

I thought it was very cool when Phil pulled out the 1st Cobia. It was even more cool when he & Marco managed to pull out 3 in a row!! :shock: BTW - Phil's big Cobia was 36". (Thanks Phil & Marco for the generous donations.)

Phil & Marco are 2 excellent teachers. Patient & informative. Even though I didn't hook up like they did I still had a good time & learned a lot about a very abundant area & a very versatile lure (52m). Thanks guys!

Oh yea, Marco. I didn't want to say anything out on the water, but later in the day, when I was fishing along the shore & you 2 were out on the edge of the flats, I saw two fat 4' black tips swim past me. Very cool!

This weekend Phil thought he would try fishing in my back yard at Weedon island. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can pull out of there. Hey Marco, what are you doing Saturday?
Last edited by whodog on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Never mind.......
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Frankly I didn't expect the Cobia to be there. I figured the area would be overloaded by Trout and we'd be tired of catching them by noon. The Cobia were a nice change of pace and fun to catch. After hooking the Rays, either the water got to mucked up or the Cobia were lost swimming around in circles looking for their security blankets because the bite turned off completely.

The real excitement was Marco's catch as you can see by his smile. A nice 28 incher.
Last edited by Phnd on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com
AKA Rod

Post by AKA Rod »

Cool-You guys did well out there today.
I am too old to die young.
Phnd

Post by Phnd »

Michael, I've been wanting to fish that area for a long time. One way or another we'll find the fish. I'm looking forward to it and will be there at the crack of dawn.

Two four foot black tips? I'm glad the water was clean and clear!
Phil
BayAreaReelService.com