Wednesday

Flamingo to Big Bend
MrSpectaculous

Wednesday

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Wow What a night. I put in at Coffe Pot Bayou around 5pm. I pulled up to the ramp and unloaded my boat and gear and then when I went to park my car I noticed all the spots were taken. Trouble was they were all taken by cars without trailers. So I called the Police and told them there was a good 1k in tickets to be found and for them to hurry. As I waited two touring kayaks showed and loaded up onto the jeep with the multi rig and pulled out. I was able to park so I left and went fishing. That proved to be a sign to stay in.

I paddled to about 1k yards offshore. There is a sandbar way out there that you can stand on even at high tide. The area just before the bar is pretty productive. My lure of choice was a gold spoon due to the floating grass and sea boogers floating in the water. I started catching trout but knew the best bite would come after dark. I don't have pics of fish for you because a bird was harrassing me as I reeled in and released fish. The bird was coming right up to the boat so somebody has tyo have been feeding him.

As you can see from the background the Appolo Beach area is getting hammered by a T-storm. I figured it would rain itself out before it got to me. After all it was sunny and nice where I was.

After a few fish I turned around to check on the storm and it had picked up some speed. At this point it was time to race it to the beach.

The Hurricane Pheonix is an awesome boat. It will flat haul ass when you push it. My speed was good till I hit the mouth of the bayou at a right angle to the beach and the out going current had me turned towards the bay and into the storm. I was really wishing a rudder would miraculously appear on the back of my boat because I really had to dig to get the boat turned in to the current.

I made it to the little Coffee Pot bridge just as the sky began to fall. I was not the only idiot out on the water. 3 Dudes in a stink pot also pulled up under the bridge just the other side of a concrete divider from me. It was not easy to keep a 16 foot boat with rods out the back from spinning like a bottle in the small space under the bridge. About half way thru the storm the tide switched directions and I had to leave cover and turn around to face the other direction. The guys in the boat must have thought I was nuts. I will admit there were some moments that I gave alot of thought to my personal relationship with Jesus. After about an hour it let up and I paddled back to the launch.

My wife does not want me to go out at night alone anymore so I probably won't fish Thursday. But then again what she don't know won't hurt her :wink:
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
Vercetti

Post by Vercetti »

Bill, glad you made back in safe. That storm was haulin azz when it blew through riverview. When you see one off in the distance, switch on the Wx channel on your VHF to find out where it is going and how fast its moving... saved my butt more than once last year.
- Jon
JoseC

Post by JoseC »

also glad to hear you made it back in one piece. nightfishing is one of my favorite times to fish, thankfully all my classes start in the late morning, so if you ever need company night fishing let me know.
Jose C

Hobie Revolution
Norm
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=22263&st

Post by Norm »

Damn, I dont know whether to call you gutsy or foolish or both :? Just glad you got back in safe Bill :wink:
Obama just traded 5 Mercedes for a Slinky ....Greg Gutfeld
mikemo

Re: http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=22263&am

Post by mikemo »

Yeah, I was camping on a spoil island when that storm blew through. All I can say is that I was glad i dug out my fire pit, because if I had not you would have seen me on the news as the guy who started the forest fire because of all that wind.

Glad you made it in safe!
-Mike

You might think the grass is greener on the other side, but it's still just as hard to mow.
whodog

Post by whodog »

Sounds like a fun adventure. Glad you made it back OK. I saw that storm rolling in & called to warn a friend that was out cruising on his new custom bike. He was extremely grateful. Would have called you too if I had known.

Keep in mind I'm only about 2 miles from there. Call if you need a hand or even a place to park. I'll shuttle you back.

(Would like to get together sometime, but I no longer have a license.)
Michael
Never mind.......
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

Vercetti wrote:Bill, glad you made back in safe. That storm was haulin azz when it blew through riverview. When you see one off in the distance, switch on the Wx channel on your VHF to find out where it is going and how fast its moving... saved my butt more than once last year.
Jon. Thanks for the advice..Thats a solid tip. I need to get a radio. but I think a rudder is on my list first. I would made alot beter time if I did not have to spend minutes getting my boat turned. I'm impressed by the speed of the storm.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

whodog wrote:Sounds like a fun adventure. Glad you made it back OK. I saw that storm rolling in & called to warn a friend that was out cruising on his new custom bike. He was extremely grateful. Would have called you too if I had known.

Keep in mind I'm only about 2 miles from there. Call if you need a hand or even a place to park. I'll shuttle you back.

(Would like to get together sometime, but I no longer have a license.)
You do know I have 2 kayaks right? You are welcome to one anytime. So go Renew.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
whodog

Post by whodog »

Yes, I know you have a backup ride. Some day I plan to make use of it.

Don't want to derail your thread but with the setback we suffered last week we need to watch all our pennies. It's only $15 to most people, but that's a substantial investment for me right now.
Michael
Never mind.......