Finally slimed up the Pro Angler.

Flamingo to Big Bend
jslager

Finally slimed up the Pro Angler.

Post by jslager »

My first 2 trips out in the Pro Angler have been skunks! But my fishing partner Dave and I got out to fish together this morning for what seems like the first time in forever.

Before the sun was up Dave had hooked up with a 40-50in Tarpon on his inshore gear. It was still dark out and before I could get over with the camera she had made a couple nice jumps and runs but broke off. Shortly after that Dave was assaulted by a manatee. All I heard a giant toilet flush behind me and when I turned around I saw Dave(luckily still on top of the kayak) coming back down out of the air. Those bastards were everywhere this morning and acting like real dicks.

So after the pre-sunrise festivities we get back to fishing. A short time later I hook up with a nice Red to finally slime up the PA. They were not in a very good mood and put up quite the fight this morning. This one almost straightened out both trebles on my Top Dog. After the pic Dave hooks up with a couple Trout .

Things slow down for a bit but after I hit the second cove I hook up with another nice red. I can't believe I didn't lose this fish in the mirage drive. Dave was about to turn the corner but came back and snapped a pic.

A little bit later Dave has been out of sight for a bit and I see him chugging back my way with another red. A very nice fish.

We head back out to the flat and I pick up my Trout. We spent the next couple hours looking for snook to finish out slams but, not today. I did score another rat red and Dave picked up another trout or 2 but we both missed the slam. However, The tarpon and manatee assault made it worth the trip. 3-4 nice Reds were the icing on the cake. It was a great morning and awesome to get back out on the water with Dave.
Sawyer Paddles and Oars
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Finally slimed up the Pro Angler.

Post by Manning »

Nice report and nice day on the water.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Mirage_Man

Post by Mirage_Man »

Nice fish! I remember seeing you paddle up to the demo last month at Gandy in your other boat. How you liking the Hobie? Any issues with the mirage drive in the skinnier areas?

I have a story regarding the Top Dog.

I was up in Jacksonville a few months back fishing with my cuz in the backwaters. It was a full moon high tide. We put in a couple hours before sunset and had no luck right up until the sun was down, just barely any light left. That's when everything started to come alive.

I started throwing my Top Pup at jumping mullet. Not too long after BAM! the water exploded, my pole bent nearly in half and the reel started screaming that lovely song. I could tell it was a really nice fish. I fought him for a minute or so then all of a sudden the line went slack and he was gone. Oh man what a bummer. When I reeled in the lure I looked at the hooks and wouldn't you know it they looked just like the ones in your picture.

Moral of this story is that Mirro-lure uses crap hooks! Next day I went out and bought some Owner Stinger treble hooks to replace the garbage on the Top Pup. I'll be ready next time!
jslager

Post by jslager »

Mirage_Man wrote:Nice fish! I remember seeing you paddle up to the demo last month at Gandy in your other boat. How you liking the Hobie? Any issues with the mirage drive in the skinnier areas?
You can spread the peddles all the way apart and just make short pumps and move in the skinniest of water. I also fish nasty slop and lily pads for bass and haven't had to take the drive out. If I can't flutter peddle through it I break out the paddle. The mirage drive is awesome but thats not why I got a pro angler, it's everything else about the boat. The seat is amazing and I have been in the WS phase 3, native seat and the larry chair for the Diablo, none of them come close. I can stand and fish(not just pole) and thats pretty sweet for someone my size. I rarely have to turn around and did in the crate all my rods and lures are to my sides or between my legs. I could not be happier with my purchase.
Sawyer Paddles and Oars
size matters

Post by size matters »

Amen to That. We should start the big boys pro angler club lol. Iam 6"1 and 286. I love my pro angler. It is everything you said it is. You guys keep talking about the top water. Maybe I am doing it wrong cuz nothing happens as far as redfish for me on these lures. I walk the dog. Maybe speed or not pausing is the issue. Any insight here?
"President of the Dink Fishing Club"
noles

Post by noles »

size matters wrote:Amen to That. We should start the big boys pro angler club lol. Iam 6"1 and 286. I love my pro angler. It is everything you said it is. You guys keep talking about the top water. Maybe I am doing it wrong cuz nothing happens as far as redfish for me on these lures. I walk the dog. Maybe speed or not pausing is the issue. Any insight here?
I keep my spook moving at a good clip. No pause or change in speed of my retrieve rates. Less time for the fish to decide if it wants to hit it or not.
"whose that little motherf***er with the fly rod"
size matters

Post by size matters »

ill give it a whirl. thanks noles....
"President of the Dink Fishing Club"
Tide1on

Post by Tide1on »

size matters wrote:You guys keep talking about the top water. Maybe I am doing it wrong cuz nothing happens as far as redfish for me on these lures. I walk the dog. Maybe speed or not pausing is the issue. Any insight here?
When I'm targeting Reds with a top water I'll stop the lure often for a second or two & sometimes longer. Make your lure act erradic like a tired & wounded bait. Other fish also find this method hard to resist at times. Hope this helps and good luck!
NATIVE Redfish14
Your Wallet - The one place Democrats are willing to drill

Steve