Long Boat Key

Flamingo to Big Bend
Hferrell87

Long Boat Key

Post by Hferrell87 »

Hey all,

My family is closing on a condo right smack in the center of LBK on the gulf. I have never fished this area or surrounding areas. I'm coming from the east coast and am excited to learn your fishery in this side of the peninsula.

Currently have a wilderness systems angler ride 115 and am looking to buy another or a Jackson cuda 12.

I have been all over google earth trying to find what looks to be decent areas but seems like the pics were taken at low tide, so really don't know...

Would love any pointers or tips for fishing this area or surrounding areas. Doesanyone know where I can launch my kayak on LBK? I think there might be a canal across the street that I can drop into, but once again, looking from an aerial on google.

If anyone fishes the east coast, I would be more than happy to put you on some tailing reds in the Mosquito lagoon. Just shoot me a pm and I will help you out.

Thanks,
Halley F
DoubleM

Re: Long Boat Key

Post by DoubleM »

You can launch from Quick Point Park at South end of Longboat, Buttonwood Harbor in middle or Durante Park further north.
http://www.paddle-fishing-forum.com/vie ... 48&t=20112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Find the mullet, good luck.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
Flatz Komander

Post by Flatz Komander »

There is also a nice park on Bird Key that you can launch from. It is in the north side of the road just west of the ringling bridge. You can also launch from the north side of longboat pass.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
mauso1
Supporter 2007 - 2013

Post by mauso1 »

you and others looking for launches will find this helpful

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

many from this board but especially the esteemed Goomba Rik have contributed
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club
Hferrell87

Post by Hferrell87 »

mauso1 wrote:you and others looking for launches will find this helpful

http://paddle-fishing-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

many from this board but especially the esteemed Goomba Rik have contributed
Thanks for all the help!!!
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

I cut my teeth on kayak fishing on Longboat Key.

You are going to love in one of the most beautiful places in Florida so, enjoy.

After you try all of the places by others here you will start finding a few launch spots of your own.
And, drive around the waterfront in the Village at the north end. I remember a sneaky put in there.

And, there is a smaller neighborhood place on the east side of the bay. Forgot the street right now but it is a well known redfish spot with huge oyster bars.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
Flatz Komander

Post by Flatz Komander »

Bluebill...are you thinking of the area off of whitfield?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Flatz Commander

Yes, the access is at the end of Whitfield, very limited parking, good for wading for reds.

Use earplugs as you get really low flying planes as Whitfield is only a couple of blocks from the end of the airport runway.

Bluebill
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water