Tuesday Morning

Flamingo to Big Bend
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Tuesday Morning

Post by Manning »

For those of you hard at work this morning, I just want you to know someone is fishing. Big school of red first thing this am.
Last edited by Manning on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Re: Tuesday Morning

Post by Manning »

Work...

Work...

Steve
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Here is the rest of the story. Decided to fish close to home which I have not done in quite some time. Started catching fish shortly after leaving the launch. Including the fish shown above I caught 2 reds, 2 snook, 1 trout and 6 jacks. There were small schools of Jacks tearing up the flats. Have not seen that in quite some time.

Stop reading hear if you don't like "the big one that got away" stories. Although all the action listed above was fun the highlight of the morning was the fish I lost. I was working some mullet with my Spook Jr. and had looked away while still retrieving the lure. I heard a huge gulp and splash. I looked back and there was a big hole in the water where my lure had been. The fish started stripping off lots of line until the kayak came up to speed. The fish dragged me in a couple of big circles and it really didn't seem to be slowing down any. Here is where I made my mistake. I held the rod with one hand and stuck in my stake out pole with the other. As soon as the kayak came to a stop the fish started stripping line again. I cupped the spool to try and slow it some and the braid let go. I only got a couple quick glimpses of this fish and it had a big green back. I guess it was a snook, but am not really sure. As some of you may remember, I caught a 39 inch snook in June and this fish felt bigger than that did. Took my favorite Spook Jr. too.

Steve
Yaklife

Post by Yaklife »

nice pics and even better story....
i know that it is a no-no to ask a fisherman where the bite was but i am really want to experience a slam or even just 1 of the 3.
If you can just guide me to a 5 mile radius of this bite hole... i will be very grateful.
Planning to go out again this weekend and do a little bit of catching this time.
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

YakLife,
Looks like you are kind of new here. That was me 5 year ago. Here is my advise. Look at the launch section of the site and find some launches that are close to where you live. Hit them and start exploring. Right now there seem to be lots of fish in most of the places that I go. Another good idea is to start attending the Paddle Fishing Challenge events. I know this may seem daunting if you are new and have not attended an event. Don't let this hold you back. These are fun events first and foremost. Yes everyone likes to win, but that is not the main point. This way you will meet more people from the forum and go to some fishing locations that you might not otherwise visit. It is all good.

Don't want you to think I am blowing you off here so I will send you a PM giving you a little more details on where I have been fishing.

Good luck!

Steve