Flamingo didn't disappoint

Flamingo to Big Bend
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Flamingo didn't disappoint

Post by DaveR »

Headed down to the Glades with old fishing buddies Tom and John. On the way down we hit some local waters in search of some exotics on ultralight and fly. I was able to catch my first peacock thanks to John's guidance but the photo op was interrupted by the first of a few encounters with the local fire ant population. We caught a few other interesting species including blue gill,mayan cichlids, and oscar.
On to the Travel Lodge Florida City. Clean and cheap. I will stay there again. After a few cocktails it was to bed early to start out back country adventure. If you have fished Flamingo before you know a stop at the Mobil station for essentials is mandatory.
After the long dark drive which we would twice a day for three days we arrived at our destination. The sign at the gate said mosquito level was high. Once at waters edge we were all in agreement that the sign was indeed spot on.
Once out to open water the bugs became a nonissue which is normally the case. In the mangrove tunnels they can live up to their notorious reputations. Oh, and plenty of spiders. BIG F'N SPIDERS!
After we began fishing it was long before Tom drew first blood by landing a tarpon. I followed with a few of my own and John added snook to the species list.
Through the next two days we all caught our share of tarpon, trout, snook, and one redfish a piece. One of John's missions on this trip was to catch his first tarpon on the fly. Mission accomplished.
Tom had a prior obligation for Saturday so we were John and I were on our own. Too bad because it was some of the best fishing I have ever experienced. Started out a bit tough for me as a big snook made me her bitch and took me into the mangroves. I did date her little sister a short time later though.
We thought for sure we were going to get pounded by an approaching storm front but as fate would have it, it fizzled out before reaching us.
The changing weather did seem to ring the dinner bell for the fish though for soon everywhere we looked were rolling tarpon. Hungry tarpon.
Very hungry tarpon.
We lost count as to how many we caught on fly, ultra light, and regular spinning gear. I have never before witnessed a tarpon bite like that before. We were finally running out if time and I had to take the water taxi back.
It ain't easy fishing by any means but the rewards can be sweet.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Bigfish171
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Re: Flamingo didn't disappoint

Post by Bigfish171 »

Very cool, thanks for the report!!
Dave
justabucup

Post by justabucup »

That first tarpon pic is wonderful. Really shows the name silver king.
Credo quia absurdum
Rik

Post by Rik »

Good stuff. Sounds like you guys had a great time.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
ChrisR
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by ChrisR »

Thanks for the report. Looks like it was a hell of a trip!
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Great stuff. You can color us all green with envy.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

A great trip - The BAC was put through it's paces and performed perfectly.

More Tarpon than you could shake a stick at ツ
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Excellent report and pictures. There's nothing better than baby poons on fly. Flamingo is a special place.
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

Looks like some great catchin', guys but you lost me at big spiders! :pale:
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Very nice Dave, thanks for sharing. I need to get down there.
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by rugrat181 »

Great post ! You put Flamingo on my bucket list. Now to find a friend with a tow kayak!! Lol... :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S
22acrowd

Post by 22acrowd »

Cool report.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Thanks fellers. For those of you who have never made the trip, don't delay. In JayB's words the place can be magical. The best fishing is when the weather and bugs are brutal but the pay off can be just incredible. Been going down there for a dozen years or more and it never gets old. No, the fishing isnt always off the hook like we experienced but just being there out of earshot of civilization is worth the price of admission. This ain't Choko. No F'n airboats here and if you can make it on weekdays there are few stink potters.
There are honey holes and the learning curve can be straightened but that's where bribes of fine bourbon can come in handy. :razz:
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Bourbon or good beer!!
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
fishshooter99

Post by fishshooter99 »

Great report and pics.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Ray H

Post by Ray H »

Mmmm-mmm...I love me some Dionn's fried chicken!
Roughing it smoothly