Baby Tarpon

Flamingo to Big Bend
Dustin

Re: Baby Tarpon

Post by Dustin »

Tommy has the right idea. Baby tarpon eat a fly better than anything. That is particularly true for fish in more heavily pressured areas. I throw gurglers like what Tommy posted or deerhair sliders that scoot along just under the surface and produce a small wake. I've always had the best success with baby tarpon by using a regular, fairly fast stripping rhythm. Something about a fast moving fly rings their dinner bell.
mrpj1972

Re: Baby Tarpon

Post by mrpj1972 »

uncdub13 wrote:Very nice. What type/size hook do you like for livebaiting tarpon that size?
5/0 circles. I also had 4/0 for that day, but never needed to tie one on. Used a 4000 size Sedona with 20lb braid tied to 40lb flouro.
bluebill

Re: Baby Tarpon-Update

Post by bluebill »

I was getting discouraged fishing for b-tarpon the past several days. We had an afternoon incoming tide and I would see a few large ones rolling but not a strike.

Got a chance to redo in the same creek on a morning incoming tide today and hooked several and landed two. What a difference from the days before. I cant explain why but they were feeding today. The water level was quite low from a morning zero tide and it was overcast.

One on a small Rapala plug and all the rest on a small lead head jig with various colors of small soft baits.

No snook in that creek with the tarpon yet. Water is still 75 deg outside.
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water