Baby Tarpon

Flamingo to Big Bend
bluebill

Baby Tarpon

Post by bluebill »

Where are the baby tarpon fishing reports?
Be thankful for every day and especially those fine days on the water
bluebill

Re: Baby Tarpon

Post by bluebill »

I caught two baby tarpon today on an incoming tide in a tidal creek here on Pine Island. Longest was 21" but I have been seeing some longer ones. Also caught a few smaller snook in the same creek. The two cold nights have moved the in.
Light spinning gear and small shallow diving plugs did the trick.
Vlap

Post by Vlap »

Wish I knew where some where here in my area. Would love to catch some.
"It's always an adventure! " Cooknfish.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Vlap-- if your area is Sarasota, you may find that the baby tarpon have already gone south. Last year they stayed around here (Pine Island) until February and then finally disappeared-- I have read that they go down to the Everglades
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Wonder if there is a study of where and if the juvies migrate. Remember the freeze a couple years back? The we're stacked like cordwood in some of the canals up here.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

DaveR -- I have not run across any studies but I know that last year they stayed around here, Pine Island, through Nov, Dec and into February -- then ? where did they go? My guess is a bit further south say Marco island or even further into the vast flowages that enter Florida Bay from the Everglades.

I do not remember juvie tarpon in the great freezes as I was preoccupied in looking for dead and dying snook.

Hooked two more juvies this morning on an incoming tide. I had one ready to beach when it threw the look on the last jump. They were not showing at the surface at all so it was strictly blind casting a small plug and or small bright colored jig and plastic bait.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I'm not convinced that they actually migrate. I tend to believe that they seek out deep, stagnant water with mud bottom during the coldest parts of the winter. Some of the best baby tarpon fishing I had last year around Merritt Island was in February between cold fronts. One day, there was no sign of fish whatsoever and the next, there were schools of fish everywhere in the exact same locations.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

I don't know about them migrating out of Tampa Bay, there are a few places that they are always there. They will not bite if it is real cold though but, they are there.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Well, yes, the "baby" tarpon may not migrate further south. Earlier this year they were still in my favorite spots until March. Then, they did go but then probably only out to the shallow bay where they came from.

I am starting to see larger ones rolling (teens?). And, these larger ones are harder to get a strike from.

I am going to order some scrape kits to participate in the States's DNA reporting program.
gatordave

Post by gatordave »

They run farther up the canals here in the Port Charlotte area. They have already started and will be here all thru the winter...
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

gatordave wrote:They run farther up the canals here in the Port Charlotte area. They have already started and will be here all thru the winter...
Yes they have....
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Very nice! What are they eating? My patience with the P. Gorda poons has worn out!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
mrpj1972

Post by mrpj1972 »

DaveR wrote:Very nice! What are they eating? My patience with the P. Gorda poons has worn out!
I threw artificial everything for about 2 hours & then switched to live shrimp & was hooked up on the second shrimp.
uncdub13

Post by uncdub13 »

Very nice. What type/size hook do you like for livebaiting tarpon that size?
ryan
bluebill

Post by bluebill »

Live shrimp, that would make it easy and also attract snook.

I have hooked a few on DOA shrimp but so far this season I have tried to stay with small plugs like the Rapala XRap in size 6. I like the floating Xrap as I can fish it as a top water or make it dive a foot or so. It is so important to find the b. tarpon first. Then you can cast to one roller or just blind cast in the area. Lots of patience and a varied retrieve. I always remember BFW saying he got most tarpon strikes by retrieving his muddler minnow with a two handed steady retrieve. So, I try a few short walk the dog then steady slow retrieve. They will sometimes nail the lure just as you are lifting it for the next cast.

It is hard to explain to a rational person why we persist in staring at the water for just one more rolling tarpon.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Please, call me Kate