NMZ 12/7

Flamingo to Big Bend
Dustin

NMZ 12/7

Post by Dustin »

Got out to the NMZ this morning for the first time in a few months. You could not ask for better conditions. Fish should have been everywhere, but they weren't. I spent the first few hours after daybreak slowly cruising the shallows searching out targets that might be interested in my deerhair slider, but only a couple small reds made an appearance. After the sun came up more, I found a small group of nice trout and caught a couple of those up to 4.5lbs or so. I started the paddle back to the truck about 9:30 and decided to head offshore a bit just for the heck of it. Nothing doing there either until a lone, barely distinguishable wake caught my eye. The regular cadence told me this was my intended target, and given the fact I was in 2.5' of water, I knew this was no slot size fish. I picked up the fly-rod, shot a bunch of line, and ended up with a big knot. Why does that only happen at the most inopportune times? Crap. Anyway, I quickly recovered and reached behind me and grabbed my trusty Chronarch with a weightless jerkbait. The fish engulfed it on impact and we were off to the races. I hopped out the kayak to fight the fish just to have more control. This fish took easily half my spool, and I had the drag cranked with 30lb braid. I've caught larger reds, but none that ran like this one. After I got him turned, I wore his butt out within a couple minutes. And the result...

A quick measurement showed that this big guy was 46-47" and probably a bit north of 30lbs. After that, I decided to pack it in. Not a great deal of action, but the one fish made the morning.
fishshooter99

Re: NMZ 12/7

Post by fishshooter99 »

Nice report and great pics. Congrats on that big girl!
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Rik

Post by Rik »

You have to be real talented to catch them by hand like that. He'll, even with a rod and reel they put up one heck if a fight. Redfish noodling, who'd a thunk?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

Again, I bow to da master.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Uncle Tommy
Black Tip Tommy

Post by Uncle Tommy »

Nice Pig!
Please, call me Kate
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

Great story well told. Congratulation. What is NMZ?
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Rik,
The irony of that is that I actually did catch the fish by hand. When I him up to my feet, I watched as the hook just fell out. Before the fish could react, I plunged my hand down and grabbed the tail. He went nuts, but I managed to hold on long enough to get the other hand in position. Very fortunate to actually land this one...

Manning,
NMZ = No Motor Zone. North end of the Banana River between Port Canaveral and Kennedy Space Center. 7 miles of flats fishing heaven.
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I have fished with Dustin. I'm guessing he goes from one end to another in one day!
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

real nice fish, Dustin. :thumbright:
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

DaveR wrote:I have fished with Dustin. I'm guessing he goes from one end to another in one day!
There are some perks to working at KSC ;). No long paddling days for me...
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

nice fish, man!
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
mikeB
Supporter 2007 - 2014
Supporter 2007 - 2014

Post by mikeB »

What a beauty!