Mckay Bay?

Flamingo to Big Bend
FreshlySalted

Mckay Bay?

Post by FreshlySalted »

Has anyone fished this area? I drive by it once a week and see it from the cross town. I never see anyone in there fishing and that might be my answer, but you never know.
I can't say it is right or wrong, all I know is something isn't right.
Native Mariner
Todd
PFTS Chairman
PFTS Chairman

Re: Mckay Bay?

Post by Todd »

Never been there either, but it is one of those places you drive by and wonder about.
You know what La Quinta means in English? Behind Dennys. MarkM
FreshlySalted

Post by FreshlySalted »

It looks like there is access for 22nd street.
Native Mariner
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I know years ago it was a well known tarpon spot when they moved into the bays. I have never kayak fished there though.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

I have fished it a couple times on foot and from my boat and never did much but, last time I fished it I was in my kayak and didn’t do much then either except for one spot where I sat there and caught about 10 snook all under 16” from under one overhanging mangrove limb. That was kind of cool. In the summer the tarpon are there, they may be there now, there is a nice big boil up near the by-pass canal lock that holds all kinds of trash fish this time of year.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
FreshlySalted

Post by FreshlySalted »

Heywood and myself are planning on heading out there this coming Sunday. I have been trying to get in touch with Pal Marina to see if they will let us launch on there property. Let me know I you want to go.
Native Mariner
huntinfishin83

Post by huntinfishin83 »

any luck? everytime i drive the crosstown i say to myself wonder if theres any fish out there why dont i ever see anyone fishing that area.
Heywood

Post by Heywood »

huntinfishin83 wrote:any luck? everytime i drive the crosstown i say to myself wonder if theres any fish out there why dont i ever see anyone fishing that area.
I had to cancel at the last minute, plans are in the works to go again.
"Anytime I shag a buddies wife I always cut the lawn when I'm done " ~ The Leg End ~
John
Guv'ner

Post by John »

Used to fish it regularly many years ago, before the access to the launch was blocked off.
It does hold fish, and it does occasionally fish very well, but it does not surrender it's riches easily. Its a very seasonal spot and takes quite a lot of figuring out.

Good luck, let us know if you find a launch spot
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
rich

Post by rich »

If anyone is interested Tampa Baywatch is doing a oyster bar build project in Mckay Bay April 5th. It's a great way to learn and area and have a inside track of Oyster bar's that will someday hold fish. I have done a number of these projects in the Kitchen area and Weedon Island it's a good way to give back and get a good workout to. I have fished Mckay many times in the past and the water quality had gone down hill over the years this is a good way to help bring it back.
huntinfishin83

Post by huntinfishin83 »

if I wanted to launch my canoe and fish the mouth of palm river & McKay bay where can I launch from? looking on google earth but not coming up with much.