Confession time

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

Confession time

Post by Rik »

I killed a snook yesterday.

Not this one that I caught on my 4th cast but the one after it 10 casts later

It was what all top water fishermen dream about. Cast the spook out into the wind rippled water and walk it into the lee where it is glass calm. Then the hump of water came up behind the spook followed by the big explosion of wide open snook mouth coming out of the water and inhaling the lure.

She was instantly hooked up and pushed her head out of the water with some mighty shakes to try and shed herself of the sharp hooks. Then she took off. 50 yards of line screamed off the reel and then, suddenly, she stopped. The line wasn't slack as if she'd turned back at me. She just stopped. I could feel the weight as I reeled her in getting a few small shudders on the line.

When she got close I saw the blood streaming from her gills. She had fully swallowed that spook and one treble was in one set of gills, the other treble in the other set. The brief fight and run had ripped them apart and she'd lost too much blood to survive.

Being May 4th, I couldn't take this 30 inch snook home and make a dinner out of her so I just dropped her over the side. If it weren't for the dirt bags who would rip gills apart on every fish they caught, I wish there would be an exception to the rule.

Involuntary fishslaughter. Can't remember the last time I killed a fish unintentionally. Really hated seeing that snook float away to become crab food.

There. I feel better now.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
Blindmullet

Re: Confession time

Post by Blindmullet »

I would have brought it home. Its a shame we cant use common sense.
Team Pro Bass "Fishing Legendz"
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

Was it a Devil on one shoulder and an Angel on the other one?
0 0 1
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

It happens, according to the biologists that study this stuff one in every 10 to 20 fish we catch and release dies, 5 to 10% mortality, we just don’t see it. It all depends on water temperature and hook placement. It is tough to send any fish away dead. Been there and hate doing it too.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
jgharris01

Post by jgharris01 »

Yeah that really sucks.

I caught a 27inch redfish on a spook jr and the rear hooks were in his stomach since he totally wolfed it. I must have measured him 5 different times and I left the spook it's mouth. I took it home since unhooking it was probably gonna kill it. I left the lure in his mouth in case anyone stops me they can clearly see it was hooked in a way that would have killed it. I would have done it for a larger red too...

I have never caught a fish (even hooked in the gills) that has basically died while fighting. That's crazy! :shock: :cry: :shock:
Captain Hugh

Post by Captain Hugh »

As my grand daughter would say "it happens". Glad it wasn't me whose ethics were tested.
"There was a very cautious man, who never laughed or cried. He never risked, he never lost, he never won nor tried. And when he one day passed away, his insurance was denied, For since he never really lived, they claimed he never died
Rik

Post by Rik »

shamus wrote:Was it a Devil on one shoulder and an Angel on the other one?
Captain Hugh wrote:Glad it wasn't me whose ethics were tested.
There was some back and forth going on as the angel and devil on my shoulders 'discussed' it. Just made no logical sense to toss it in the water other than the law. Which didn't seem very damn logical at that point since the fish was dead and would have made a wonderful meal. However, the old "rules are there for a reason" cliche won out and back it went.

I should mention that Barnacle was not at all pleased. Dog owners are all very familiar with the 'what the hell are you doing?' look.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
DaveR
Supporter 2007 - 2012

Post by DaveR »

I'm sorry bud. Just plain sucks.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

"SANCTUARY!!!"

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Well I made that choice once and it cost me $250!, I can’t get away with anything and I can assure you it will never happen again. Crabs gotta eat too, that's what the LEO said as he handed me my prize. That was a long time ago in the Keys.
Steve

Post by 13 »

That's why I quit using Mirrordines. Seemed every time I used one, a snook would swallow the whole damn thing. I killed a few babies & felt terrible about it, haven't used one since.
EZYLYF
King of Broken Fly Rods

Post by EZYLYF »

Feel your pain. I caught a beautiful 24'' trout a couple of weeks ago on a topwater gurgler fly. Single hook and was near the gills. Was bleeding and did not make it. Really made me sick, I know it's part of the game and happens but still doesn't make me feel any better.
MrSpectaculous

Post by MrSpectaculous »

This thread is why this is my favorite fishing forum.
I think I can dance.
Bill
Ultimate 14.5
Purple Emotion GS
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Crimping barbs helps a lot but if they swallow it then it is tough to get it out no matter what, that includes regular hooks as well.
Steve
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

Bummer!
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

I may even switch out the trebles on some of my lures for J or Circle hooks, some manufactures are already selling them that way, haven't tried it yet but I need to.
:?:
Steve