Favorite Rod/Reel For West Coast flats fishing

Flamingo to Big Bend
fishshooter99

Favorite Rod/Reel For West Coast flats fishing

Post by fishshooter99 »

First, I just want to say I realize that this isn't a fishing report and probably would be better suited to the General Forum but I'm specifically interested in hearing about the type of equipment folks in this area use.

Next, I do realize that this type of thread has been done before, but I think this is the type of info that new comers to the forum are looking for not to mention I personally find it interesting.

Finally, I would like to ask that no one slams someone else's choice. While I realize that is certainly your prerogative, I am specifically asking about YOUR favorite not what you think about the guys that replied before you. (i.e. I wouldn't be caught dead using that piece of crap xyz reel, they used to be good but have gone to crap.) That being said, try hard to avoid being a ...well you know.

As for me, I use primarily FH-FJ and CI Stradic 3000 and 4000 reels. Most are loaded with 15 or 20lb slick 8 braided line to which I attach a 20-30lb Fluorocarbon leader. I have several St. Croix rods, a TFO and a Teramar that I use predominately. Most are medium light, though some are medium with fast tips ( I have to give them the whip test before I buy). They are all in the 7 to 71/2 foot range. I fish top water much more than any thing else normally targeting reds but happy with the trout and occasional Snook by catch.

Please share your personal favorites.
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
John
Guv'ner

Re: Favorite Rod/Reel For West Coast flats fishing

Post by John »

Loomis GL2 8-17 (medium power) fast Action

it will pitch a jig as far as you'll need and has enough backbone to land anything you're likely to encounter on the flats, it will also work a topwater, but usually use a Med/Heavy Loomis for that job
"If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree." - Michael Crichton
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

Same as East Coast, Flamingo, or Choko....

7' Rod light and medium action, 3000 &/or 4000 series reels, 10/15/20# braid with Fluro leader.
MPO choice, Star Plasma, Shimano Stradic &/or Ci4, Suffix Fuse or P-Pro... multitude of different fluro leader material don;t really look at the label for anything except strength, 15/10/25/30 pound strength depending on target species.. those are personal choices because that what I have and use the most but I have plenty of other brand/model rods & reels. I never start out a ttory "I caught xyz with my abc rod with nop reel, using a schmako lure with a shot of joe-blo's special sauce. People catch fish, the tools just help the user do the job.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Rik

Post by Rik »

St Croix Tidemaster. 7.5 ft for topwater, 8 foot for jigs and spoons out on open flats. Quantum Cabo 2000 spinning reel. 10 # Power Pro.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
strutzy

Post by strutzy »

7' star stellar lite, medium with stradic ci4. 10# power pro. Nice and light, makes me not want to pick up my older combo's.
jbdba01
Mr. Fishing Reports
Mr. Fishing Reports

Post by jbdba01 »

Details here
JB
SPORTSFAN

Post by SPORTSFAN »

I use three, first is a 7ft Ugly Stick medium, Penn 450ssg reel with 20lb Power Pro braid.
Second is a Penn Allegiance 7ft fast, Penn 440ssg reel with 20lb Power Pro Braid
Third is my Tarpon rod ? Sea Stryker Billfisher live bait series, Penn 760L reel with 50lb Power Pro Braid with 60lb mono leader.
Edward

Post by Edward »

I'm somewhat different where I go small. I primarily use two 6 1/2' and one 6' light action St Croix Triumphs. They are at the bottom of their price line ($80) but a good rod for the money. I like short rods, short handles, small reels. Sitting in a solo canoe they are lined up in front of me and easy to manage. I find them easier to throw around cover and less tiring. The 6' is a buggy whip and is a blast when the trout bite is on. I have an Okuma 1500 with 8 lb braid and 20lb leader on that rod. The other two rods, 10lb braid and 20lb leader. I use a 2500 series Quantum Smoke and a Wright McGill Victory on those. Every now and then if I decide to chuck live bait, especially with a bobber, or the wind is up, I bring out a 7'er.

Post by 0119 »

For flats its a SpinfisherV 3500 on a 7ft ML TFO. Heavy but its factory supported in ways shitmanos never are.