So Long Old Friend

Flamingo to Big Bend
Edward

So Long Old Friend

Post by Edward »

As I just transitioned into the qualifying age for social security and the accompanying decline of muscle mass, I no longer wanted to car top and bought a F150. I retired what my wife called the, "Fish Car", she wouldn't ride in it, a 15 year old 4runner with 200k. Trading it in felt like taking a dog to the vet to put it down. It had all the tattoo's of car topping and fishing. The main event was a big dent in the hood when at FD a big gust of wind took a 86lb canoe out of my hands as it bounced of the hood and then to the ground. The black roof rack turned 2 tone silver and black and the sound of sandy grit when operating the windows was constant. There was rust and small holes on the back fenders, bumper and trailer hitch. I hadn't washed it inside or out since maybe, 2008. The radio, power steering and AC didn't work and all the years of sweat, dirt, stink and my over all DNA release, is all gone. Oh the memories. I'm dealing with the PTSD but I'm now thinking, SOMEBODY IS GOING TO BUY THAT THING!
olddaddy

Re: So Long Old Friend

Post by olddaddy »

I miss every old truck I ever owned and sold......you did some kid a favor though. He'll buy it spend money on it and have a blast in it while you are out fishing.......everybody wins, even the wife!
Halfhitch

Post by Halfhitch »

Had a similar event a few years ago. Loved my old small Nissan pickup with 150,000 miles and in pretty good shape. Wife and I traveled a lot between N. Georgia and St. Pete and the well worn bench seats were torture on our 55+ aged backs so we bought a replacement, but kept it although we weren't using it. Had a friend whose wife owned and ran a small farm and I found badly needed a little truck for around the farm - was going to donate it to them if they promised to take care of it as we had quit using it, but they insisted on paying for it, which I eventually accepted. With a little sadness on my part, it found a new home. Later they mentioned she had turned it over to their mechanic and told him to 'redo' it from end to end. She was thrilled with the result. It was given new life by someone else who would appreciate and care for it. Still miss it though...........
Rik

Post by Rik »

I drive a 15 year old Nissan Frontier with 140,000 miles (low mileage, right?). I love this truck, my butt fits in the seat. It's hauled many kayaks many miles. . My son says it smells like an old boat inside. Makes me want to keep it another 14 years.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
kmeng

Post by kmeng »

Saying goodbye to a longtime friend (car) is difficult. I have a '98 Honda Accord with 320,000 miles on it. My father drives it now up in GA but it still runs like the day it was new - well with at least one replaced clutch...

Now I feel bad car topping my kayak on my new ride. It's so pretty...
Do what you love, love what you do, and most of all, love life.

"Don't seek to follow the footsteps of the masters, seek what they sought"
Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo in Olive
CoonHound53

Post by CoonHound53 »

You will be fine, that F-150 will get the way you want it soon enough. You are retired now, so the more you fish the more your F-150 starts to take shape.
Listen to the Peppers! Riches will follow.