MirroDine magic

Flamingo to Big Bend
Rik

MirroDine magic

Post by Rik »

Went out in the northern end of the bay with a purpose. Winter trout for dinner. If pompano wanted to join in, that would be fine.

As I pushed thru the mangroves to launch, I found I was not alone. Everywhere I looked there was a mullet boat. Quickly my expectations went in the tank.

I headed to my predetermined destination, a big flat sticking off the end of an island and was surprised to find that not a single mullet boat was there or even patrolling the area. Maybe I should net mullet. While those guys were cruising all over looking for them, I was sitting in the middle of an acre of mullet.

The trout cooperated nicely except for one problem - finding fish below 20" was very difficult. My first trout was 23 and went in the bag. The next 5 fish were all over 20". I caught a dozen or so trout all on one rod and one lure - the small MirroDine.

Saw what May have been a pompano skip over the surface and numerous bluefish. Thankfully I avoided the lure thieving blues.

Side note - I saw three different mullet nets in the water. All of them made up of multiple seine nets tied together. They don't even try to hide it. I was talking to one guy as he pulled in the net. Didn't even skip a beat as he untied two nets with me sitting right there. Enforcement resources are so limited that the odds of getting caught are minimal.

No pics. Trout are too damn slimy.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
fishshooter99

Re: MirroDine magic

Post by fishshooter99 »

The trout cooperated nicely except for one problem - finding fish below 20" was very difficult. My first trout was 23 and went in the bag. The next 5 fish were all over 20". I caught a dozen or so trout all on one rod and one lure - the small MirroDine.
If you're going to have a problem, that's a good one to have. :thumbright:
Gary
expatriate Floridian living in the foriegn land of Georgia
Manning
Supporter 2009 - 2013

Post by Manning »

May hit it again tomorrow. Sure have been a lot of nice trout out there. There are also some big blue fish. Here is what they can do to a Mirrodine mini if they don't take the whole thing.
Being out on the water in the kayak is the prize. Catching fish is the bonus.

Steve
DoubleM

Post by DoubleM »

Nice report Rik. I hate it when I bump into those mullet boys, they sure know how to ravage a flat.

Good god Steve-o get some new trebles on that bad boy :)
Mark .aka. Man of Purpose. Original Chincy Jones

Ultimate 14.5 sand & blue Indian River Outdoorsman.

The jig is up and weedless.
rugrat181
Supporter 2011 - 2014
Supporter 2011 - 2014

Post by rugrat181 »

I'm glad to hear you're problem is the trout are too big!! Enjoy it for me as I have little more than a year to go for the hip rehab. (And that's where I've been).

Good report ! :salute:
It's 5 o'clock somewhere. Let's celebrate !!

Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club"

Dave S
shamus
The Beaver Tickler

Post by shamus »

the new improved super mini
0 0 1
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Rik wrote:Side note - I saw three different mullet nets in the water. All of them made up of multiple seine nets tied together. They don't even try to hide it. I was talking to one guy as he pulled in the net. Didn't even skip a beat as he untied two nets with me sitting right there. Enforcement resources are so limited that the odds of getting caught are minimal.
Big trout are getting more common, hopefully that trend will continue. The netting issue you described is exactly why the net ban amendment was pursued. No matter what the law is these guys are going to circumvent it. At least with a gill net ban there is a little hope, that is blatant and a felony charge, as it should be. I fear that the 20 and even many 30 somethings are clueless as to how it used to be before the ban and the netters are relentless. There is less effort to fight them these days it seems and someday they may get their gill nets back, when that happens good luck getting rid of them then.
My posts are my opinion only.
Steve
Rik

Post by Rik »

Went back to that same spot yesterday and it was littered with dead mullet laying on the bottom and floating. Between the two of us we caught a small jack and a lizardfish. Most of the lived mullet we did see had net rash. I'm seeing reports from all up and down the coast of dead mullet everywhere. I guess the crabs are getting well fed.
Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

I know it's a useless feeling but do you guys call FWC and at least try to report illegal activity.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
Rik

Post by Rik »

Right now there are hundreds of mullet boats out there. I'm sure that the very limited number of FWC officers are working very hard but there is just no way they can catch even a small percentage. Plus, I was one guy in a kayak with a dozen mullet boats all within a half mile. Picking up my phone to make a call or take a picture didn't seem like the best idea at the time.

FWC guys are always getting pulled in to do non fish and wildlife duty for special events. Maybe it's time to train local sheriff's officers how to do some of the fish and wildlife stuff for times like the annual mullet roe season. I know that Sarasota county has numerous patrol boats. Heck, they even have a couple jet skis and one flats skiff with almost hidden lights. No reason they can't be out checking during this annual event
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

FWC is also a state police officer and is equal to a state trooper ony they have to know a lot more stuff, not only the same regulations that a trooper needs to know but fisheries rules too, a trooper doesn’t need to know. They are also one of the lowest paid and probably the hardest working police out there. They get no respect. Most leave to get better paying police jobs but their true love is in fish and game law enforcement. Most would much rather drive a dirt road looking for bad guys than hit the hood. But money often drives their job choice.
Steve
krash
Supporter 2010 - 2014
Supporter 2010 - 2014

Post by krash »

So the answer I guess is No... maybe several calls would get some action.

I realize there are lots of excuses, you mention Roe season.. every year we have a lobster season and every possible officier is out there checking pretty much every boater, and we probably out number mullet guys by thousands... somehow they get it done.

FWC also has access to helicopters, besides fast boats, it would not be that difficult to observe from the air and pinpoint a few hot spots. Call everytime you see them, you know what they say about the squeaky wheel.
Senior Exalted Pro Staff Member of the Paddle-Fishing.com Kayak & Canoe Anglers Club

SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

I am all for it if they are stealing from us they should get busted!! Breaking the rules is basically stealing. I will always call if I see anyone breaking fisheries laws.
Steve
sfurman
Supporter 2010 - 2013

Post by sfurman »

Here’s a suggestion, why not email the FWC and let them know what you, any of you reading this, witnessed and if there has been an increase in FWC patrol for this blatant disregard for the law. I realize that hunting season is on and they only have so many resources but they could get some help from county sheriff patrol boats too. I am going to the FWC web site now to pose the question, what is being done?

Start here. http://myfwc.com/contact/wildlife-alert/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Email them here. http://mygovhelp.info/FLFWC/_cs/site.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe if they receive a boat load of complaints they will try to do something about it.
it can't hurt.
Steve
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Would seem to me that video of netters untying illegal nets along with their boat numbers would be evidence enough for arrest and conviction.
Of course you risk confrontation if they see you taking pictures, but if your talking on your cell phone while the camera is facing their direction....?
Or... could be a stealth mission for the Go Pro.
Just a thought.
Fishin Worms and Investment Advice Inc.
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

I'm not sure I've ever seen FWC in a boat that will get into skinny enough water. At least not where I've seen the nets strung together behind Shell Key. :scratch:
"Likes smokey old pool rooms N clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?