Flounder

Flamingo to Big Bend
Groupdog

Flounder

Post by Groupdog »

Where is a good place to catch flounder this time of year....or is it too early/late.
Edward

Re: Flounder

Post by Edward »

I have had some success with flounder in the winter. The trick is you have to really really slow down your retrieve. I like a white gulp shrimp on a red head 1/16 oz mission fishing jig with the winter clear water. Big sandy patches near grass in 5-6 ft of water depth seems to be best. It takes a lot of patience but there are cold days when nothing else is biting. If you find one, there is usually more around the general area. I can not overstate, slow retrieve.
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

^ what he said. Super slow bouncing the bottom. Edges of channels and sandy potholes. Anywhere the flounder can sit in the sand and wait for food to come by.
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
Groupdog

Post by Groupdog »

I'm gonna head out this weekend and see what happens, I'm right next to johns pass and there is the sandbar right in the middle, I can anchor in the shallow water safe of boats and I'll cast into the channel and slowly retrieve see what happens...
Woah woah woah ... Guys.
I'm just like you. I put my pants on one leg at a time.
except, once my pants are on, I make gold records.

more cowbell
bicoastal

Post by bicoastal »

The island just south of Johns Pass on the inside might be good as well. Right on the edge of the grass where the channel comes up shallow. I think it's called eleanor island.
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 The Red Rocket
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Sage
CoonHound53

Post by CoonHound53 »

If you feel like headed south, you can catch them in SRQ bay on the north west side of the Ringling Bridge on that flat there.
Listen to the Peppers! Riches will follow.